NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: Costuming

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Props Thread
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
DanielRSimmins
Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:42AM
Registered Member #48
I thought I'd go ahead and start a props thread for any ideas or cool props found out in the wild.

Here are some functioning toy compasses I found in Walmart's party supply section. They are very period looking and there just $2.00 for 4pack as you can see. They a very plentiful at least the Walmart in oakwood. The world on the back is very obscure looking, one could just say it shows Tyrra. They're called pirate compasses, but there really isn't any thing pirate about them.

Terry
DanielRSimmins
Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:43AM
Registered Member #48
Found these 4" Led Candles at the Dollar Tree. Thought I'd post them to get the word out.

The 4" Led Candles fairly bright and have a decent flicker and are a $1.00 each

They also a some tea light led candles that are bight for there size and come in 2 packs

video coming shortly

DanielRSimmins
Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:44AM
Registered Member #48
I've been running one that a bought 3 days to test with, so far for the past three nights it been "burning" strong.

Here's the video to show the flicker and the brightness of the light, but the vid really doesn't show fully just how bight it is. It's comparable to a real candle in intensity.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/194/twto.mp4/
DanielRSimmins
Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:56AM
Registered Member #48
came across this tutorial for making period style lantern

I plan on trying it but using one of the led candles instead of a fluorescent camping lantern.

http://www.oocities.org/firespiter/lantern/lantern.htm

DanielRSimmins
Wed Aug 31 2011, 07:16AM
Registered Member #48
came across another lantern pattern made using a salt box

http://books.google.com/books?id=098DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA681&lpg=PA681&ots=_43q-ToofE&dq=how+to+make+a+medieval+lantern

Here is a lantern made use the pattern above. I'm woriking on a second one as I think I can do better and hide the box lines with a paper covering. I used the kylon fusion paint that simulates beaten copper.

The videos still don't do it justice as far as showing just how bight it is. In a dark room it will start lighting your way at about 7 feet. Out doors it will be drown out by street lights. I hoping it dose better in pitch dark , like the parks sometime are. Now mind you it still not a bight as a modern lantern or glow sticks, but it works, you can read by it, and it add atmosphere.

vid 1
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/84/sm4.mp4/

vid 2
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/709/38e.mp4/

DanielRSimmins
Wed Aug 31 2011, 07:17AM
Registered Member #48
Cardboard Medieval Lantern MKII (Work In Progress)

Made from a salt box, two piece cardboard from a Totino's pizza box and a Tea Light candle from Walgreen. I used antique style hinges and latch from Ace hardware. I"ll will use the Kylon fusion paint that simulates beaten metal to paint it with just not sure if i want to use copper or black iron. This one I used brown mailing paper to hide the box lines.

The tea light candles are bight little things, just as bright as the 4" Dollar tree candles. $5.00 for 6 pack or $1.50 individually.

dukratha
Wed Aug 31 2011, 12:04PM
Registered Member #9
I bought a pack of those compasses. They really are cheap...both in price and quality. They work...but barely. You have to hold it completely still for quite a while. I took one apart to see why the needle shook so much...it has a large opening on the bottom and it is resting on a very fine pin. I am going to put some of the guts of one into a pocket watch I picked up for $5. I am going to use a slightly larger pin to see if it will wobble and shake less. I will post pictures when I am done.
DanielRSimmins
Sun Sep 04 2011, 09:16AM
Registered Member #48
Cool i can't wait to see how that turn out that would be a cool prop for sure.

For a $1.50 there not bad and the plastic is fairly good plastic. With little paint these can look great. I did notice some takes a little more time than others to line up to north while others in the pack will line up fast.

I did compare them to real compass when I first got them and I found, after getting two packs, that most of the compasses will work and show north just as the real compass but not as fast of course. I do have one however that likes to point at the microwave if in the house. there for I think it might be good for a person to pick out the best one out of a pack an use it. As you said it dose help to hold them still, which I tend like as it gives it more of middle-age feel if they made a hand held compass back them that is. :)

[ Edited Sun Sep 04 2011, 09:18AM ]
DanielRSimmins
Thu Sep 22 2011, 06:35AM
Registered Member #48
Some neat feast-ware goblets i seen today at target there $2.99 and all plastic and look really good. Found in there Halloween section.

At Party city have I've seen these Hanging "Flame" lights. $19.99. I think the Spirit Halloween stores have the for $14.99

[ Edited Thu Sep 22 2011, 06:40AM ]
dukratha
Thu Sep 22 2011, 07:25AM
Registered Member #9
Are the goblets from Walmart? Are they plastic or glass. Glass is usually better, but not necessarily so where NERO is concerned.

I bet those would look great as gypsy goblets, especially with some metallic paint and maybe some jewels.

I will probably wait for their big after Halloween discounts and pick some up.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF