NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
How can I help the Game?
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
NEROPhoenix
Wed Apr 11 2012, 07:55AM
NEROPhoenix
Registered Member #954
Not a roleplayong system? What have I been playing then for the last 14+ years of my life.
BillT
Wed Apr 11 2012, 08:14AM
Registered Member #1000
I agree with Ashe.

NERO is a system where almost all interaction is governed by mechanics, where you can be attacked anywhere, and your work to create a persona can be erased.

At SCA and other things like it, fighting is only a portion of the event (even if it is a major portion), non-combatants are embraced, crafting culture is encouraged, and there is no way someone can randomly lose access to their persona.

While we roleplay as a major part of the game, NERO doesn't actually support non-combative characters because there is no way to completely remove yourself from combat.
Stripes
Wed Apr 11 2012, 09:34AM
stripes
Registered Member #204
The question is, does NERO want more non-combatants at events? If so chapters could rope off or otherwise make a 'no combat' zone or have those players identified as a total non-combatant in some way, much like Page headbands and rules some chapters have. If they don't then nothing really needs to be changed.

Bringing in new customers and increasing attendance is, in my opinion, the biggest improvement that can be made. Increased revenue is always a good thing, but so is reducing costs. Anywhere National or Chapters could cut expenses would free up funds to use for props, advertising, lowering fees to encourage more customers, any number of things. I don't see payroll being an issue as most staff is on a volunteer basis, but what of other operating costs? Some won't be able to be controlled like site rental fees and alternatives to coin such as paper loot have been implemented, so where else can money be saved to use for other projects?
NEROPhoenix
Wed Apr 11 2012, 11:35AM
NEROPhoenix
Registered Member #954
Good idea on the roped off non combat area Stripes. I may have to see if a number of my players who come for the roleplay aspects of the game would be interested in that.
fuzzy
Wed Apr 11 2012, 11:45AM
Registered Member #345
A lot would depend on the nature of the roped off area. I engage in combat because sometimes I want to, but more often because I simply have to. My concern with a roped off area is that in my head I see the equivilant of a playpen with the non-coms in it, feeling neglected and ostracized from the free-range players. I would be more supportive of a headband system, but certain rules would have to be taken into account, such as how to still drop and search them, otherwise I see people making them the "Treasurer" because they are immune.

I got into NERO because some aquaintances from school thought I might be interested. I knew after 5 minutes of my first game when I was being rolled by werewolves that I would never come back. That was in '96. What keeps me in the game currently isn't the system, it is the roleplay that we choose to wrap around the system. I have seen others that play characters that are almost mute because they stay for the combat and could care less about the fighting. Any sort of marketing needs to cater to both extremes as well as those who are in the middle, or those that love both sides of things.
BillT
Wed Apr 11 2012, 11:57AM
Registered Member #1000
I think the solution is an area where there no fear of combat as opposed to a separate pen where non-combatants play.

If you want to be non-com some of the time, that's cool. If you decide you want to take a few hours to beat on stuff, that's cool too.

The headband is a terrible idea. Most non-combatant simply do not want to take part in combat. Putting a headband on them not only breaks immersion but also doesn't remove any kind of negative consequence from combat. In fact, it makes you easier to kill.

Other games (Conquest of Mythodea) simply have areas where combat happens and areas where it doesn't. In the non-combative areas, people can do all kinds of things (since they're German, that's where people drink beer). It works well for them, because it keeps those things that could cause problems off the field of battle.

But this is a moot conversation as long as people are concerned about ways to kill and search non-combatants. If that's a concern, this game will never support non-combatants.
Stripes
Wed Apr 11 2012, 12:34PM
stripes
Registered Member #204
With any marketing idea the first question is always 'Will it draw enough customers to even bother with the attempt?'. Market research, it’s a pain in the neck but a necessary evil sometimes.

The 'roped off' area was just a basic idea. Certainly it can be done in other ways to keep the immersion in while keeping those who don't want combat happy. A designated market area, a tavern defended by NPC guards that are just so stealthy you can't see them; any number of things can be tried. Even something as simple as informing those who put in their time monstering for the game could be instructed to not go to the designated area. Bathrooms and shower areas are already considered non-combat zones and have rules in place to prevent them from being abused, there's bound to be some solution to include other areas in that umbrella.

For the player interaction and PvP concerns, either give non-combatants some kind of token that they can give their 'killers' for the kill and possible loot. Something like this would make them terribly easy prey for those players though. To correct this, either make it so that it isn't really worth it or very, very hard to get away with. Then again, if people want to come and pay to be at the game and not have to worry about combat and getting ganked don't make it allowable otherwise it defeats the purpose. There should be plenty of targets to keep your combat monsters and pvpers happy. If there isn't enough that they go after ‘civilians’, why not?
HMTaylor
Wed Apr 11 2012, 02:15PM
HMTaylor
Registered Member #22
We have a few RP only characters in the SE area. They come with a bunch of props to set up, tents sometimes, kiddie pools, musical instruments, etc. Generally they are left alone if near their props, and only become "fair game" for combat when they enter other areas of town. We also hosted a merchant- themed event where local LARP merchants and players were welcome to set up booths to sell items, IG and OOG. That area was designated non-combat. We handle this with NPC instructions and a separate part of camp so there is no headband or rope to break immersion. All the vendors knew they were attending a LARP and also kept up immersion by playing a role/ dressing up/ etc.

The Nero system itself is focused on combat and has little for non-com characters to do, but that does not mean the game cannot be played as a light or no combat game. One of the things I'd like to see for 10th edition is a group of skills specifically for non-combat characters.

[ Edited Wed Apr 11 2012, 02:17PM ]
LuthorHuss
Wed Apr 11 2012, 02:45PM
Registered Member #1175
I think the idea that NERO is a combat only game is total BS. Just because you amy not want to RP does not mean that others do not. Mabey at somechapters all they do is send out wave upon wave of monsters. But the few I've played at brig out NPC's to RP with. If RP'ing was not part of the game, then what is the point of plot or story lines? Want to go swing a boffer at someone fine, but that does not mean everyone else is only there for that.There is alot of RP oppertunities in the game there are even mechanics in the game for this. Why else create an estate system? How about the following spells

Contact Ancient Dead
Devastating Charge
Enchant Engine
Forced March/Exhaustion
Increase Harvest/Blight
Level Groud
Moral/Route
Purify/Poison Well
Riders of the Wind/Foundering Mounts
Weaken Defense

Not to mention the Skills
Reaqd Write
Craftsman: Other
Evaluate Item
Herbal Lore

These skills are not needed at all in a purely combat orientated game, much less the abilities of Stone Elves and Biata to remove various mental issues. Simple fact is, this game is and should be a dual phased game a situation to fight and RP. Untill the game makes both sides equally important you will not gain as many people as you would like. There are many options to go out and fight someone with little harm. You need to offer a strang RP element in order to draw more people in.
AsheBlackfist
Wed Apr 11 2012, 04:40PM
Registered Member #44
First things first.

The NERO system is a combat system. The fact that roleplay occurs in it is simply a side effect of it being a roleplaying game. The system itself, outside of some formal magic and maybe a couple skills, do not promote roleplay or even encourage it. If your idea of a roleplay skill is read/write, then you should know NERO is one of the only LARPs that doesn't allow you to read as a baseline skill. The idea that you need to spend build to read and write is ludicrous.

Second, if you REALLY wanna estrange people who are roleplay only, pen them off into their own area. Nothing says a unified game world like segregation. /sarcasm.

If you want to implement something like that, have a NON-COMBAT area, or areas.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF