NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
How can I help the Game?
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
AsheBlackfist
Wed Apr 11 2012, 04:42PM
Registered Member #44
BillT wrote ...

But this is a moot conversation as long as people are concerned about ways to kill and search non-combatants. If that's a concern, this game will never support non-combatants.

and every other part of the post is quoted for truth. Bless your smutty soul, Bill
NEROPhoenix
Wed Apr 11 2012, 06:52PM
NEROPhoenix
Registered Member #954
Read/write being a rp or combat skill is irelevent. NERO is a LARP (live action ROLEPLAYING game) not rollplaying ROLEPLAYING. I don't know about you all but last I checked ROLEPLAYING is a huge part of this game. I am not saying segregate the players. I am saying make them all feel involved.
AsheBlackfist
Wed Apr 11 2012, 08:35PM
Registered Member #44
You are missing the point. I'm not commenting on what type of game is, I'm commenting on how the system mechanics are set up. Some games have rules designed to favor the crafter, singer, performer, or completely non-combat whatever character. NERO's rules system is almost strictly a combat system.

This means that any roleplay you get out of it is almost strictly outside the rules system. I'm not saying roleplay doesn't happen. I'm saying it doesn't happen *because of the rules system*
Stripes
Thu Apr 12 2012, 08:09AM
stripes
Registered Member #204
AsheBlackfist wrote ...

You are missing the point.

Yes, you are missing the point of this thread ENTIRELY. Go back and reread the start of the post. This was supposed to be a thread about helping the game out, not a debate on what NERO is and what it isn't.

There's no reason to cry 'segregation' when it was just an idea. I was the only one to mention a 'roped off' area, but it was just an idea starter, not something that was going to be instantly implemented. Have you ever been a part of a brainstorming session? Ideas are just tossed out when they come to mind. Few work, some don't, but most of them may start out bad but hints at a concept that can be taken from the original bad idea and turned into something useful.

This is the second thread on these boards I've been involved in that have been derailed by people over-reacting or wishing to push their own agenda. I'm finding it a bit frustrating when threads turn into nothing but a complaint or argument. Those belong in their own threads.
BillT
Thu Apr 12 2012, 08:15AM
Registered Member #1000
Yes, NERO is a LARP. But here is what you need to understand.

1.) All characters are expected to roleplay. We support roleplay.

2.) All characters expected to fight*. There is no way to play a milkmaid (or milkman) that will never encounter combat in the entirety of of their existence IG.

Until you can resolve 2, this game will not be friendly to non-combatants. Ashe and I are not saying that the game is not roleplay. We're saying that the game is "not non-combat."

All the other games mentioned that have a rich, non-combative culture have areas where no combat is allowed and people just chill instead of being stuck on the idea of "Combat can occur anywhere and any time." If you get rid of combat everywhere, then you may get the culture. If you don't, you will never get that culture.

*When I say prepared to fight, that includes being attacked, not fighting back, and getting killed/robbed.
AsheBlackfist
Thu Apr 12 2012, 06:21PM
Registered Member #44
Stripes wrote ...

Yes, you are missing the point of this thread ENTIRELY. Go back and reread the start of the post. This was supposed to be a thread about helping the game out, not a debate on what NERO is and what it isn't.

This is the second thread on these boards I've been involved in that have been derailed by people over-reacting or wishing to push their own agenda. I'm finding it a bit frustrating when threads turn into nothing but a complaint or argument. Those belong in their own threads.

I've been helping the game for a while. The game is pretty close to it's helpable limit without an overhaul of the rules system. I don't want that to be the truth, but in my pretty reliable experience, it's true.

And if you're bothered by threads being derailed, you might want to know it's VERY common here. There's not enough traffic to the boards, and the community isn't active enough in other forums, to know all the typical rules of forum etiquette. I tried to make a post about it that was quickly buried and ignored.
KatieMueller
Thu Apr 12 2012, 07:35PM
National Staff

Registered Member #19
Hey guys,

If ya'll could please carry discussion which is not relevant to the thread topic over to a new thread, that would rock the cheddar right off my grilled cheese sandwich. (Happy National Grilled Cheese sandwich day, by the way!)

Thanks!
jvalenti
Thu Apr 12 2012, 08:14PM
Joseph Valenti

Registered Member #68
How can we help the game out.

There are so many ways….

1… Write an article about what your character did for the entire event, in bullet list form, with as much detail as you can remember, including names of other people you interacted with, and submit that to national plot for inclusion in the Tyrran timeline online in-game timeline. Imagine, in 5 years when you can look back at the Tyrran Timeline and see 9,000 articles along the timelines from 50 different chapters and 3,000 different sources!
2… Look the coolest you can when attending an event. Buy a nice full set of costuming for your character – head piece, shirt, tabard, pants, boots, armor, belt, 3 pouches (2 for treasure 1 for spell orbs). And then buy 2 more full sets of costume, so that you have 3 pairs of clothes to wear when you attend an event as your favorite character – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday or Saturday til 6pm and Saturday night for chapters whose games end at 4am Sunday.
3… Ask your local chapter and ask them what they need for tabards, and make sure that each chapter has 8 tabards each in the color of brown, green, white, black, blue, and brown.
4… Donate your older costumes to npc camp, so they have good costumes for their Town NPC’s.
5… Ask your local chapter and ask them if they need any pancake make-up for their monster camp.
6… Volunteer to be the make-up manager for your chapter. You take inventory of the make-up at the end of each event, and you make a list of make-up that needs to be acquired (either via donations or purchase). You will enter the forums of the chapter you work at, and start a thread asking for donations of make-up in the colors you need. You will alert the chapter owner 5 days before the start of the event that make is or is not needed, and if needed provide the owner a list so he can go to the make up store and buy it (or order it online via 1-day delivery using her paypal card).
7… Volunteer to give the RA at the local college 500 fliers if your chapter gives you them at the next event you go to.
8… Volunteer to spark up conversations that are positive on the forums of national or your chapter.
Make a friend at the next event you go to, and ‘watch out for’ a new player or team that is at the event, and smother them a ton of your treasure.
9… When playing, do not beat up monsters that are meant for other players. If you see low level monsters, steer them towards the low level players so they get experience in all the areas.
10.. Volunteer to run the Saturday 11am ‘save my stolen treasure’ new player module at your chapter.
11… Volunteer to npc for 4 to 6 hours (2 shifts of 2 or 3 hrs) when you play.
12… Get your team to volunteer at your chapter 1 time per year for the entire event, and make sure all the other groups at your chapter do the same on all the other events – run 1, play 5, sounds good.
13… Write a simple module and offer to run it with your team when NPCing events.
14… Always put every player through your adventure. Not 6 or 10 or 20, but every event attendee must 1… always go through your adventure.
15… Be the Trap Person for your chapter, and make yourself available to show staff how to set traps for their adventures and perhaps run 1 trap intensive adventure per weekend for your chapter.
16… Volunteer to be the new player tour guide for your chapter. This is the person who all the new players are brought to, and he gives the ma new player orientation to the rules, and he then takes them, in-game, on a tour around the camp and shows them the different manor houses of the groups. Coordinated with the chapter staff, there will always be a small encounter of small critters for these players to enjoy combat with.
17… If your chapter offers a service, like all-you-can-eat, if you can afford it, please buy it to minimize stress and maximize our support of the chapter staff that make food and other aspects of our larp game happen.
18… Make sure your cabin and a 50 foot area around the cabin is very clean at the end of an event before you go home, so that staff doesn’t have to stay long and clean up after you and the others who stayed in the cabin.
19… If you see a larp goods merchant at an event, please go buy something if you can afford to. Event Merchants are top notch people and should be interacted with and their goods purchased by everyone. 20… They will keep coming back if we all buy something from them, but they won’t come back if we do not.
21… Pre-register for the event if you are going to attend. This helps all of the staff to make sure you are involved in a plotline. Staff are talking on the phone, via the forums, right up until the day of the event, and staff are always looking for the next person to pre-register so they can try and include them in storylines and plots. By pre-reg’ing, we are telling the chapter ‘hey, I will be there ready to interact’
21… Pre pay for the event if at all possible, so that the chapter can buy the props, costumes, make-up, etc. that it needs.
22… Buy magic item phys-reps for your chapter by going to the dollar store and getting jewelry that is large and gawky and other hand-sized items that cost a dollar or so.
23… Buy or find on the ground (pine cones are the best!), formal component phys-reps, so when you cast a formal magic spell, you have cool phys-reps instead of paper.
24… Buy 1,000 gold for your chapter, which nero national has 5,000 in stock and it costs $150.00 per 1,000 which includes shipping.
25… Pay the $15 annual nero membership fee and encourage others to also, so that national can travel the country and advertise and market the NERO game at trade shows and game conventions. Additionally, for example, if everyone paid their membership fees, nero national could produce a commercial tv advertisement and air it Wed. to Sunday nights in each chapters area for a few weeks once per year.
Stripes
Fri Apr 13 2012, 07:28AM
stripes
Registered Member #204
What about the companies that give NERO members discounts? Are any willing to put a banner ad or a link in their site to NERO? Would they share their site traffic numbers so you could get an idea of what level of interest is out there beyond the current customer base?

If they could provide the web advertizing, NERO could provide the incentive to purchase their products for providing a place to use them. While it wouldn't have the reach TV ads would have it would also be far cheaper. It might even be more effective since people shopping for Ren gear would already have at least a partial interest.
NEROPhoenix
Fri Apr 13 2012, 08:53AM
NEROPhoenix
Registered Member #954
A very good idea Stripes. It is something worth looking into.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF