NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Game Races & Cultures

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Sarr/Myrr Race Marshall
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
spicemwe
Thu Mar 29 2012, 03:55PM
Registered Member #177
I had just assumed that the Evendarr monarchy was explicitly patriarchal ruled.
noahmason
Thu Mar 29 2012, 04:00PM
Registered Member #102
Evendarr does have a king, but there's no law that says women can't hold titles. There are tons of duchesses and baronesses in Evendarr.
BerenOlean
Thu Mar 29 2012, 04:19PM
BerenOlean
Registered Member #33
Gypsys were. Most tribes think they still are too.
Scribe
Thu Mar 29 2012, 04:43PM
Registered Member #904
Yes the King of the Gypsies and the Bandoleer are consider more that than Queen and Bandoleer wife. Though once again I don't think it is against any Gypsy law for a female to be bandoleer.

silway
Thu Mar 29 2012, 05:01PM
silway
Registered Member #55
Regarding Evendarr; There have been Queens of Evendarr, just isn't one now. The expedition into the Great Dark Swamp, for example, happened during a Queen's reign if i recall correctly. Etc.

NERO actually has a policy against IG groups discriminating on the basis of gender. It came about after the Sarr and Drae Matriarchies came to be so i think people just let it go. But a gradual shift towards removing those biased elements is a good thing. There are plenty of other things we can tell stories about without bringing gender politics into it. Or, if NERO wants to go that route, then it is time for some explicit Patriarchies to come into existence at the National level.
spicemwe
Thu Mar 29 2012, 05:05PM
Registered Member #177
Good to know! Thanks!! Hooray for NERO history lessons.

JJMarika
Thu Mar 29 2012, 05:53PM
Registered Member #57
noahmason wrote ...

Not for nothin - but has anyone noticed that there are no explicitly patriarchal societies in Nero, only matriarchal ones? Seems kind of unfair.

Well... without going too deeply into real-world politics, I'd say the reason that there are only explicitly matriarchal societies in NERO would be because we, in general, default towards male leaders. Evendaar is not explicitly patriarchal... but I'd guess that there are few places where female nobles outnumber male. (I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, but in the places I play, there's one female noble to every 3 males, and I don't remember seeing particularly different ratios when traveling.)

You make a matriarchal society to make it feel different than what we're used to. (And, I'd guess, for much the same reasons as we borrow other foreign cultures for most of our non-human races.)

JJ

[ Edited Thu Mar 29 2012, 05:58PM ]
Stripes
Thu Mar 29 2012, 06:41PM
stripes
Registered Member #204
silway wrote ...

NERO actually has a policy against IG groups discriminating on the basis of gender. It came about after the Sarr and Drae Matriarchies came to be so i think people just let it go. But a gradual shift towards removing those biased elements is a good thing. There are plenty of other things we can tell stories about without bringing gender politics into it. Or, if NERO wants to go that route, then it is time for some explicit Patriarchies to come into existence at the National level.

I thought Barbarians and most Biata were Patriarchal. I'm familiar with the NERO policy on OOG discrimination but I've not read about an IG one.

Page 123 of the 9th Ed. rulebook states:

"Although you the player are not allowed to discriminate, your character can discriminate on the in-game basis of matters of player's choice."

I've ran into plenty of 'racist elves' that think my character is an animal and there's even notable events where bias has impacted in-game history.

It goes on to state that such things are best avoided if possible. Being born female isn’t a player’s choice but playing a Sarr is a player's choice it should be permissible. There's also a good reason for it as the female/male birth rate is 4/1 and in the case of the Palang it's mentioned that it's even lower than that. A player doesn’t have to be a Sarr from Myrr nor do they have to accept a Matriarchy. The only way a player has to follow a society like that is if they choose to of their own free will.

A large part of NERO is being able to play something you're not. I rather enjoy pretending to be from a very different society for a weekend than the one I live in. It helps add to the atmosphere and setting I am electing and paying to participate in. I don’t just want to be ‘John Smith’ in costuming; I want differences between the real world and Tyrra. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as it's IG.
Administrator
Thu Mar 29 2012, 07:04PM
Dark Lord of NERO

Registered Member #1
I've had NPC factions that discriminated based on gender, but they were purely plot controlled.

In Tyrangel, if I'm not mistaken, we do have more female nobles that male. And, most of them are elves, as well, which we always joke about considering Evendarr is primarily a human kingdom.
BerenOlean
Thu Mar 29 2012, 08:40PM
BerenOlean
Registered Member #33
I see no reason a IG family cannot be gender biased against certain things. Gypsy tribes have not allowed female bandolers for years around our area, but lately some have shown up. This has caused tension and good rp. If it gets to griefing due to gender, then yes I agree its an issue, but I agree with the thought that players choose their race, for the good and the bad.

For things such as nobles, plot run groups, and plotlines, I agree that gender should not be a consideration.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF