NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Hoblings Vs Staves
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
LuthorHuss
Mon Apr 09 2012, 08:08AM
Registered Member #1175
I wanted to make sure that I am understanding the Hobling Racial limitations. Am I correct in that a Hobling cannot use a staff? If so can anyone explain the reasoning in that one?
Frog
Mon Apr 09 2012, 10:16AM
frog
Registered Member #17

We cannot use ANY weapon that Requires 2 hands to use. Including Bow, crossbow, and staffs.
It is a "game balance" issue We have the fewest make up requirements compared to racial advantages. ie Build bought dodge, resist poison, cheaper pick locks etc.
LuthorHuss
Mon Apr 09 2012, 05:36PM
Registered Member #1175
I can understand that, though a staff seems like the most hobling like weapon out there. But thanks for the reply, looks like the wife will not be able to use that magic staff I had my eye on buying her.
madhobling
Thu Apr 12 2012, 07:41PM
Registered Member #62
We hoblings also are the only race who have been class blocked also.

Files
Dain
Fri Apr 13 2012, 05:29AM
Registered Member #814
Biata cannot buy read magic, so they are blocked from Celestial Templar/Scholar
madhobling
Fri Apr 13 2012, 02:27PM
Registered Member #62
But not from being a templar/scholar, we can't be a fighter at all. Not just a fighter with no two handers......NOT AT ALL

The reason comes from a social view of the race from the hobling packet. Hoblings consider those who fight toe to toe to be a bit loony, therefore no respectable hobling will do this......cause they would be shunned by all others......so therefore we are forbidden from doing it. I think it would be better if we could, but had to deal witht he roleplay of being shunned by our people.

When I started my hobling (15 yrs ago) it was explained by the fact that hobling were a smaller race, therefore we could not handle two handers (why I always play a longsword as a two hander). Then National decreed that you are the size you are.....so that went out the window but the restriction stayed.

Now hobling dodge is cool, but only usable once per reset, at double the price of a regular dodge (no backstabs and no assasinate)....

Pick Locks and disarm traps are only good on mods, mostly.....

Resist poison is used by several races....and since I never get hit with poisons, is not as cool as you think....except on mod gas traps...

Still I love the race, which is why I have played it for 15yrs

Files
LuthorHuss
Fri Apr 13 2012, 08:37PM
Registered Member #1175
I understand the point behind hoblings not being fighters, I just think it's kinda odd that hoblings cant use a walking stick as a way to fight and defend themselves with. Size souldnt be an issue as staves are typicaly cut according to the height of the person using them.

From what I've read about Hoblings, it would seem to be something that would fit into their menality.
madhobling
Mon Jun 18 2012, 10:35PM
Registered Member #62
I agree with the using staff, it fits with the race, and you are right they are sized to the person....so two hand restriction shouldn't count on this one weapon.

AsheBlackfist
Tue Jun 19 2012, 03:53AM
Registered Member #44
the staff restriction is a little silly, but if you're complaining about the hobling racials, you're way off base. they are hands down the best racials in the game if you have no intention of being a fighter. and with the way templars are now anyhow, it's not like you're missing out on being able to fight on the front lines as a templar.

you also handwaived the biata restriction from being a celestial scholar/templar, which isn't fair in the light of the argument you're making.
LuthorHuss
Tue Jun 19 2012, 08:44AM
Registered Member #1175
except I am not talking about class restirctions. On top of that the lore on Biata goes with their not being able to use celestial magic. However all the lore on Hoblings (and the Hobbits they really are) would suggest that if anything they would use a staff. Personally I think all the races need to be relooked.

You are right that hobblings are way overpowered given their costume requirements. Personally I think all Scavengers, Sarrs, Stone Elves, and Drae should have much better racial abilities, while other races should be better ballanced.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF