NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Sleep (and other ) effects
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
AdamTaylor
Thu Apr 12 2012, 06:49PM
adam taylor

Registered Member #54
No, most effects in nero do no replace a previous effect resetting the count. Please read the beginning of the magic chapter under stacked effects. Charming spells can override other charming spells if they are at an equal or higher level.(there is a chart) and while the sleep spell has "command" in it's incant it is not considered a charm effect.

Many exceptions were removed from the rules but it is hard to remove all exceptions without restructuring a system which was out of the scope of 9th edition.
madhobling
Thu Apr 12 2012, 07:35PM
Registered Member #62
Charms for one. And this doesn't stop what you are trying to stop. People will just cycle effects to get the same results. I can paralyze/waylay/sleep a person a whole event if it was necessary.

Files
Frog
Thu Apr 12 2012, 07:38PM
frog
Registered Member #17

You guys have the ruling, I of course disagree with it. =)
But that is the rule so that is how it will be played. Thanks for clearing that up for all of us.
BillT
Thu Apr 12 2012, 08:39PM
Registered Member #1000
Stacked Effects
Identical spells may not be stacked. No person may
have a second copy of the same spell actively affecting
him or her unless the spell description states otherwise. If
you are hit with a second effect that isn’t stackable, the call is
“got it”. Calling “No effect” in this situation is incorrect. This
definition is extended to include all identically named NERO
game effects, not just spells. Identical effects are not stackable,
unless noted in the effect’s description.
The following spell types have special rules regarding spell
stacking.

I think this is a clarity problem that has existed for a long time. I think a lot of people thought that stacking referred to adding time.

For example, "If you get hit with 2 sleeps, you don't have to sleep for 10 minutes."

No where in that text does it say specifically what happens when the second effect happens. What we know is:

- You cannot have two copies of the same spell effect at once
- You call "Got It"

I think that led lots of people (including everyone in my chapter) to think that the second copy overwrites the first, restarting the count.

I'm not concerned either way about the rule. But I do believe it needs to be clarified. Perhaps changing all instances of "stacked" with "stacked/refreshed."
Jackson
Fri Apr 13 2012, 03:04AM
Baron of Cathym, Volta
Registered Member #90
You realize the only time this rule comes into effect is when you use these effects to buy yourself some more time to figure out what to do with someone/something.

In my experience, when this happens if it extends past 10mins you have 1 person babysitting another and 3/4ths of the "involved parties" wander away. Suck it up and advance your decision making process.
halabis
Fri Apr 13 2012, 07:17AM
Registered Member #913
effects that add time: charm, vampire charm, tarry
bgardner
Fri Apr 13 2012, 09:23AM
Registered Member #11
Since it seems that the spell timers can't be reset by re-casting a spell, that has interesting implications for Wards. You could never keep a building warded all the time. There would always be a five minute window (minimum) as the spell is re-cast.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF