NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Counted Actions......
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
NEROPhoenix
Mon Apr 16 2012, 08:48AM
NEROPhoenix
Registered Member #954
Actually as I understand it the use of any defensive during a rift and such automatically stops the action.
DanComstock
Mon Apr 16 2012, 08:52AM

Registered Member #10
bgardner wrote ...

In NERO, any creature is 100% vulnerable to attack during a 3-count.

There are a few allowed defenses during the three count, though: Dodge/Phase/Resist/Return. Otherwise they take damage.

I notice many defenses are not on the list, things like: Reduced, Threshold, Immune, Incorporeal, Damage Cap.

I assume this means that if I hit a creature Immune to Normal Weapons during its three count with a normal longsword it takes full damage. Is that right? Also the creature can't call damage cap or reduce from damage during the three count.

"Dumb defenses" and other passive traits and immunities are still "on" while rifting. For example, an undead is not vulnerable to gas just because it's in mid-rift.

If you have to consciously use a game ability (dodge, phase, return, or resist), it will interrupt the rift. Defenses that automatically go off, like "no effect" and "shield magic" may be called without interrupting the 3-count.

See page 85: Counted Actions

[ Edited Mon Apr 16 2012, 08:53AM ]
jasonmote
Mon Apr 16 2012, 10:14AM
Director of Policies, Procedures, & Updates - NERO International
Registered Member #197
bgardner wrote ...
In NERO, any creature is 100% vulnerable to attack during a 3-count.

There are a few allowed defenses during the three count, though: Dodge/Phase/Resist/Return. Otherwise they take damage.

I notice many defenses are not on the list, things like: Reduced, Threshold, Immune, Incorporeal, Damage Cap.

I assume this means that if I hit a creature Immune to Normal Weapons during its three count with a normal longsword it takes full damage. Is that right? Also the creature can't call damage cap or reduce from damage during the three count.

All the creature can do is perform their counted action. Using game skills and abilities interrupts the Rifting. Once interrupted, they will have to start again from the beginning. This is because Rifting is a concentrated action. This is why rifting creatures are "vulnerable" while rifting.

The creature is not suddenly affected by things it is immune to, just because it is Rifting. Threshold, Immune, Damage Cap, Damage Reduction - these are continuous effects that are always up. The creature is "100% vulnerable" to things that would affect it.

If the creature is in the middle of Rifting and calls Dodge, their 3-count was interrupted and must now start over.
bgardner
Mon Apr 16 2012, 10:53AM
Registered Member #11
Yes, my mistake. I was thinking that passive defenses were somehow in game skills but they aren't.
BerenOlean
Mon Apr 16 2012, 11:40AM
BerenOlean
Registered Member #33
Calling a defense stops the rift, so they would need to restart it.

Immunity, cap, etc should work normally as it is constantly active and not a per use defense.

That's how I have seen it played at some chapters, but I don't usually let my nova rift that close that it is an issue.
Corey.Kump
Tue Apr 17 2012, 01:19PM
Registered Member #66
If your players hit you as you walk through a Gate (specifically a portal) and their sword touches or goes through the portal's rep - send them through.

Per the rules for Planar Gate (bolded for emphasis):
A person may not be on both sides of the gate - as soon as they break the plane of the gate on one
side they shift across to the other side
. From one side of the gate to the other; combat is impossible;
vision is limited and often completely impossible.
Corey.Kump
Tue Apr 17 2012, 01:28PM
Registered Member #66
If someone rifts me out, against my will, and while rifting in, I am attacked and call a defense, is my rift count interrupted? Are we both sent back to the previous plane, or just me?
Sahan
Tue Apr 17 2012, 02:12PM
The Amazing
Registered Member #319
Tip of the hat corey im curious on the respose for this.
NEROPhoenix
Tue Apr 17 2012, 04:30PM
NEROPhoenix
Registered Member #954
Yes the count is interrupted. Also if I recall correctly bring rifted against your will is just like a touch cast spell you have right to refuse it.
jasonmote
Tue Apr 17 2012, 06:39PM
Director of Policies, Procedures, & Updates - NERO International
Registered Member #197
I disagree. My call would be NO it is not interrupted. Corey your character is not in control of the Rift action; whatever is Rifting you is controlling it. You are BEING Rifted, not using a skill, ability or power. Regardless of if you are required to actually count or not.

Refusing a Rift - no you cannot refuse being Rifted out. You have no defense against it.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF