NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Counted Actions......
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
Frog
Tue Apr 17 2012, 06:49PM
frog
Registered Member #17
Refusing a Rift - no you cannot refuse being Rifted out. You have no defense against it.

Disagree
Quote your source
silway
Tue Apr 17 2012, 07:19PM
silway
Registered Member #55
"Rift /Gate
Some creatures can open a rift to
another plane to allow for entrance or
exit or open a Gate to another place.
This is a three counted action unless
a fully represented gate prop is used.
Some of these creatures also have the
power to abduct others and force them
to rift or gate out against their will."

Is the quote I assume.

-Mickey
Frog
Tue Apr 17 2012, 08:05PM
frog
Registered Member #17
OK that seems to be it.
spicemwe
Tue Apr 17 2012, 10:03PM
Registered Member #177
"The way I avoid PC's jumping on spawning monsters is to simply have the NPCs walk out of the woodline, out of line of site if possible. If not, then at least 10 feet from a PC. No count, just step out."

A thousand times this!

IMO the rule doesn't need to be changed. It's a simple enough fix on plot's end if need be. There are plenty of great suggestions here as to how to avoid the situation, but the rule is in place if plot teams want to use that particular mechanic (ie. make it a gimick for a mod).
noahmason
Wed Apr 18 2012, 07:31AM
Registered Member #102
In the Mid-Atlantic region, ghetto stomping NPCs during their rift count is pretty common practice, but I never really liked it. To my mind, the counted action represents the creature appearing. Until the action is complete, the creature is not there and thus should be immune to attacks. On a more meta level, it's just not fun to beat on someone while they can't fight back or even block. Where's the challenge there?
Sahan
Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:33AM
The Amazing
Registered Member #319
well dont play the role of the lemming and rift in the middle of everyone.
noahmason
Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:36AM
Registered Member #102
Rifting is an ability used to come into game. It's how you start an encounter. How is it fun to gank a monster before the fight even started?

[ Edited Wed Apr 18 2012, 11:14AM ]
Stripes
Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:59AM
stripes
Registered Member #204
I have to wonder, with so many responses to this particular question, is this mechanic being overused? Are there instances where another mechanic could be substituted?

From an IG world perspective, how often can holes be torn in space/time before really bad things start to happen Tyrra-wide?
silway
Wed Apr 18 2012, 10:22AM
silway
Registered Member #55
"I have to wonder, with so many responses to this particular question, is this mechanic being overused? Are there instances where another mechanic could be substituted?"

Oh, without doubt. It's why my answers keep having disclaimers about using three counts in the first place. Forget about the cosmological stuff, three counts are inherently atmosphere breaking and, 99% of the time, unnecessary. The most basic mechanical shifts would let you do away with the vast majority of them. Have an actual portal to step through and recycling out of view of PCs would handle probably 85% of circumstances. I have seen people who are walking out of a forest do a three count about walking out of the forest. I have seen them do a three count to step through a gate when actually having a rep prepared. We just need to train people to a) rep things and b) stop counting once repped and the game is that much more immersive.

Mickey
noahmason
Wed Apr 18 2012, 11:13AM
Registered Member #102
Yeah, I'm with both of you there. I'll always favor a portal or just resetting out of line-of-sight from PCs as normal over rifting in or using any other counted action to come into game.

In my region its common for NPCs to do a three count when they're completely out of sight and hearing of any potential PC as well. I suppose that it has a purpose, since someone might have been hiding back there that you didn't see. So you do a generic "I walk out of the woods" count instead of just instantly going from out-of-game to in-game, just in case. It makes sense but I don't know if it's really necessary.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF