NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
"Area Effect" delivery method
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
bgardner
Fri Jul 06 2012, 12:16PM
Registered Member #11
"Area Effect" delivery method

I have a couple questions about this method.

This replaces the unofficial method of doing this, which is "voice radius", correct?

What should a PC do if subjects to an invalid effect? For example an NPC villian walks up and says "area effect magic sleep"? Blown? No effect?

I appreciate this being added to the rulebook.

[ Edited Fri Jul 06 2012, 12:17PM ]
noahmason
Fri Jul 06 2012, 02:11PM
Registered Member #102
Yes, this is intended to consolidate and standardize all the various versions of the same ability such as "voice effect" and "voice radius."

As with any change or new rule, when it is first implemented it's expected that a few people will accidentally use the old call. Most of us still see that with fumble and illumination, so I'm sure it will happen with this call as well. Usually the best course of action is to mention it to the NPCs or a marshal after the encounter. If it's a particularly important or dangerous encounter you could yell out, "Wrong call" or something to that effect. Unfortunately, there is no standard way to indicate a botched verbal listed in the rulebook. I'll discuss it with the rest of the rules group and we'll post something soon.

The above assumes that we're talking about an NPC or marshal who is calling out some kind of encounter hazard or dangerous environment. That is the intended purpose of the area effect delivery method. I think what you may be asking though, is what to do if the chapter decides to use it for an active NPC's combat abilities even though we explicitly stated that you're not allowed to. As with any of the legitimate policy options such as the choice between cast-on-the-fly and memorization, any variations from the standard game rules should be prominently posted on the chapter's web site and announced at the beginning of the event. We don't condone any unapproved variants, and using unannounced nonstandard rules can often be grounds for adjudication.
Corey.Kump
Fri Jul 06 2012, 02:30PM
Registered Member #66
If you're worried about an NPC using an effect like that, keep an Adjudication form on hand.
jasonmote
Fri Jul 06 2012, 03:02PM
Director of Policies, Procedures, & Updates - NERO International

Registered Member #197
Another tool gone from the plot team toolbox. Thanks a-plenty for that :P
Corey.Kump
Fri Jul 06 2012, 03:56PM
Registered Member #66
jasonmote wrote ...

Another tool gone from the plot team toolbox. Thanks a-plenty for that :P

It was never in the toolbox to begin with.
jasonmote
Fri Jul 06 2012, 06:43PM
Director of Policies, Procedures, & Updates - NERO International

Registered Member #197
Corey.Kump wrote ...

Clearly it was, because nearly every chapter I have ever been to has used it and it's been in use for more than 20 years. There was just never an "official" word on it.
AsheBlackfist
Fri Jul 06 2012, 07:10PM
Registered Member #44
jasonmote wrote ...

Corey.Kump wrote ...

Clearly it was, because nearly every chapter I have ever been to has used it and it's been in use for more than 20 years. There was just never an "official" word on it.

There was never an official word on it because it didn't exist. It wasn't in the rulebook. At all. They shouldn't have used it. That they did is their mistake. That it should have been in the rulebook in the first place was also a mistake. But just cause nobody corrected people didn't make it right.
Corey.Kump
Mon Jul 09 2012, 10:23AM
Registered Member #66
jasonmote wrote ...

Corey.Kump wrote ...

I haven't used Voice Radius effects in my entire tenure as Head of Plot at NERO Indiana, nor have my plot members. I have never seen Voice Radius effects used at WAR (the closest I have seen is environmental effects from traveling to another plane without planar asylum being delivered without packets or weapons). I never saw it used at OGRE. When it was used at NERO Cincinnati, it was used in the same manner as it is currently intended to be used (as environmental effects, by an OOG marshal).

As a player, I have never enjoyed situations where I had to deal with Voice Radius effects. I have never heard a compelling reason why an in-game character needs to have the ability to deliver VR effects, but I have personally seen it abused on several occasions.

The addition of a standard module effect that frees module runners from asking players if they accept non-standard effects is a great boon to the game.
silway
Mon Jul 09 2012, 04:54PM
silway
Registered Member #55
jasonmote wrote ...

Corey.Kump wrote ...

The same people who broke the rules by have their NPCs attack PCs on the field with Voice Radius attacks will probably still do it. Telling them not to hasn't worked so far, why the worry that it will now?
AndrewI
Sun Jul 15 2012, 07:48AM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
The #1 Voice Radius "Attack" I have seen in my travels over the last 20ish years was some variation of "Control"
I've seen it used to control undead, elementals, race, sex, even those in possession of elemental marks.
Used on NPCs in battle or even PCs if appropriate (active transforms, or fitting the above other stuff)

This is in addition to the planar hazards, underground magma type hazards, pirate cruising hazards in the ocean or a simple quest to venture through a valley of Slumber Lilies to pluck the petals from the golden slumber lily in order for alchemists to concoct an antidote for a poisoned noble - at a national event.

It might be a little rash to imply someone was cheating in the past when they did it, I'll honestly say I received monsters from national that included the control abilities on the monster cards, they have happened they were not included in recent versions of the rulebooks, but there were plot/staff addendums from days gone by where they were put out on how we should use them, and not over use them.

[ Edited Sun Jul 15 2012, 07:50AM ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF