NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Things that should be up for review- Two long swords/claws
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
LuthorHuss
Wed Jul 11 2012, 07:41PM
Registered Member #1175
Except that you dont need two weapon to use a claw in one hand and a sword in the other. Since the claw does not require any skill to use, you dont even need a weapon skill to use it, but you do need a weapon skill to purchase Florintine. However if you read Tyrra's Claw and Etheral Sword cantrip, it does go into detail about how if you sommon two of one, or one of each one must be short and the other may be long. It does not state that you must have the two weapon skill in order to do so, it simply states the restrictions.

Therefore either by intent of simply a lack of forsight, as the current rules read you can weild a long claw via cantrip and a long weapon.
silway
Wed Jul 11 2012, 08:45PM
silway
Registered Member #55
Noah - "The intention is that you can not use two long weapons at the same time, no matter what combination of skills or abilities."

That is both correct and completely unambiguous from a member of national rules. So sure, if you can find a way to convince a local marshal not to call you on it I guess you can loophole your way into using two long weapons, but it's not correct.
silway
Wed Jul 11 2012, 08:46PM
silway
Registered Member #55
Which is not to say, btw, that two long weapons shouldn't be in the rules. We put it into the rules draft and Joe insisted it be taken out. So, rightly or wrongly, until it gets put in, it's not an available option for PCs.
BillT
Thu Jul 12 2012, 06:43AM
Registered Member #1000
It's not as cut and dry as that, because it's unclear as to whether or not the claw/ethereal sword is a weapon.

I think a claw/ethereal sword still counts as a weapon, despite not requiring a skill, as the cantrip never identifies it as not being a weapon. So in the only case where two longswords would be possible (one claw/ethereal sword and one actual sword), you could easily explain it by saying that the actual sword could not be used with another weapon, as per normal florentine/two weapons rules.

So it would work like this:

Fighting with a cantrip weapon: No skill required
Fighting with a cantrip weapon and small weapon: Florentine, weapon skill
Fighting with a cantrip weapon and short weapon: Two Weapons, weapon skill
Fighting with two cantrip weapons: No skill required

But it is gray and can be interpreted multiple ways. That's why Noah made a ruling.
silway
Thu Jul 12 2012, 10:06AM
silway
Registered Member #55
My point, fundamentally, was that Noah made a ruling and thus debating what the rules *are* is pointless after that. Debating what the rules *should be* is more meaningful and the actual point of the thread.
spicemwe
Wed Jul 18 2012, 10:12AM
Registered Member #177
I am in favor of adding two long weapons to NERO. DO EEEET!
noahmason
Wed Jul 18 2012, 12:04PM
Registered Member #102
Two of the more legitimate concerns that I've seen brought up about allowing two long weapons is that the style almost completely makes short weapons obsolete, and that it grants an even more drastic advantage to players with the lightest possible weapons over those with "standard" construction weapons. I think it's pretty much inarguable that a fighter with two feather-light long swords has a distinct advantage over any long/short fighter. If that's something we're willing to accept from a system standpoint, that's fine but we should know what we're getting into. I'm not saying that it will definitely slippery slope into short weapons completely disappearing, but they'll basically be fighting from a handicap.
AsheBlackfist
Wed Jul 18 2012, 03:27PM
Registered Member #44
noahmason wrote ...

Two of the more legitimate concerns that I've seen brought up about allowing two long weapons is that the style almost completely makes short weapons obsolete, and that it grants an even more drastic advantage to players with the lightest possible weapons over those with "standard" construction weapons. I think it's pretty much inarguable that a fighter with two feather-light long swords has a distinct advantage over any long/short fighter. If that's something we're willing to accept from a system standpoint, that's fine but we should know what we're getting into. I'm not saying that it will definitely slippery slope into short weapons completely disappearing, but they'll basically be fighting from a handicap.

what the heck are you talking about? People with short weapons are at a disadvantage? No kidding, that's true period. You have the skills available to buy the long weapons. Buy them. Then you too have longer weapons. The extrapolation that short weapons will exist... like they do now??!? Very few people fight long/short, even less spear/short. Some use polearm, which by your reasoning would make longswords disappear. But the majority of users are going to be using feather light long swords and boards, which, unsurprisingly is what they do now anything.

This would add a little diversity to the weapons used and I STILL haven't seen a single iota of a valid argument for it.
noahmason
Wed Jul 18 2012, 04:25PM
Registered Member #102
Since my points apparently don't have a single iota of validity, I'll be checking out of this thread now. Cheers.
jvalenti
Wed Jul 18 2012, 11:23PM
Joseph Valenti

Registered Member #68
Noah - "The intention is that you can not use two long weapons at the same time, no matter what combination of skills or abilities."

Noah worded this 100% correct and we'll stick with it.

While I can say that we'll explore this on the chapter owners forums and at business symposiums in the future, but you should count on 'no two long weapons' until at least January 2015.

I will try and write an explanation as to why Two Long Weapons (where both weapons are longer than 35") is not a benefit to the NERO LARP Game environment, but I will need a few days.

I appreciate your patience.

[ Edited Wed Jul 18 2012, 11:23PM ]
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF