NERO LARP Live Action Role Play :: Forums :: Main Category :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Things that should be up for review - Racial Abilities
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: KenGillis, DanComstock, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, noahmason, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, MMeconi_NLV, fdhogan, jvalentinero
Author Post
Attackgypsy
Sun Jul 15 2012, 08:46PM
Registered Member #79
AsheBlackfist wrote ...

I was talking not from a lore standpoint, but from a racial ability standpoint. I think all the races should be given more options or abilities. You're a human? Maybe it's one BP lower for read and write to show their adaptability.

The problem is that NERO doesn't offer alot of options for adding flavor to racial abilities because of the skills available and the way they are available. Otherwise I would think it totally awesome if dwarves got a once a reset life or stone elves got a once a day imprison, etc. (just examples, not meant to be indicative of the race)

I completely agree.

What I would like to see is a little customization in the classes. Like a MWE could take Break Charm OR Resist Sleep. Make things a little more modular. Many many RPG games are going this way now, because people want more choices in their characters.
Stripes
Wed Jul 18 2012, 09:56AM
stripes
Registered Member #204
I'm all for enhancing racial abilities, balancing them out and giving more incentive to play the more difficult races to phys-rep. Unique skills or abilities would be great as opposed to small enhancements to stats. I’d love to see the different races really be different rather than just variations on a theme but not so much it feels like you need x race to go on modules or complete non-race specific plotlines.

I'd also like to see race marshals brought back to keep an eye on things. Poor representation of the NERO races hurts immersion and makes the game look bad. Most of us have seen the pie face makeup or couldn’t tell what race someone was supposed to be and facepalmed. Contacts to ask questions about things that aren't addressed in the various packets are also in short supply. They could even help flesh out the smaller packets by addressing issues that aren’t currently in them as they come up.
-CRIMSON
Wed Jul 18 2012, 11:15AM
-CRIMSON
Registered Member #18
check in should have a racial marshall that approves you coming into game or not based on your makeup.
BrandonMason
Wed Jul 18 2012, 08:51PM
Registered Member #796
I want to first state that I am by no means discounting anyone's dislike/concern of how a particular facet of the game works. We all enjoy different things in NERO yadda,yadda,yadda...I respect everyone's opinion and love to hear em.

Here is mine

Racial Skills

I personally have never (within NERO) chosen a race based on ads or dis ads, the only thing that I have paid attention to is what a certain race cannot buy or must buy. I base my characters off of a concept and work within the rules to bring my concept to life. I do think that they should be looked at and revamped but for cool flavor ads/dis ads and not because of any strong opinion about them being unbalanced.

Biata

I would first like to dispel any misunderstandings about this race and its restrictions. The only dis ads they have are written within the 9th Edition rulebook. The rest of the celestial hates/fears are totally up to the player on how they wish to portray that aspect of the race. As far as biata being descended from griffons argument in regards to their skills not representing that fact....You are using a popular in game belief which should have no bearing on out of game mechanics.

I first started playing my Biata around 2000 or so and I chose to play a fighter, figured it would be an interesting character to play. I remember being a HUGE hater of Celestial magic, I would not even talk to a celestial mage. As time went on I made friends, joined a group and out of now where I was put in a position where I had to use my dead friends sword or watch my whole team die. My character loved those guys more than he feared that sword. I picked it up and saved the day, this incident open up debate and for a period of time I wielded many celestial items. To this day I will still sleep behind a ward if given no other option.

I played and dealt with my disads which brought me years of fun and I don't regret it one bit.

I really liked alot of points made on this string.

Brandon

silway
Wed Jul 18 2012, 09:07PM
silway
Registered Member #55
I think, generally speaking, NERO would benefit from simply getting rid of all racial abilities and disadvantages. NERO, for the most part, lets everyone buy every skill, but has an exception for racials. Everyone buying all racials is a possibility, but I think simply getting rid of them altogether would open things up to people just playing what they wanted to play without need for the game to encourage any particular race. Let people pick them for their culture, heritage, archetype, etc, and call it a day.

Mickey
Attackgypsy
Thu Jul 19 2012, 09:43AM
Registered Member #79
silway wrote ...

I think, generally speaking, NERO would benefit from simply getting rid of all racial abilities and disadvantages. NERO, for the most part, lets everyone buy every skill, but has an exception for racials. Everyone buying all racials is a possibility, but I think simply getting rid of them altogether would open things up to people just playing what they wanted to play without need for the game to encourage any particular race. Let people pick them for their culture, heritage, archetype, etc, and call it a day.

Mickey

I would love to see a modular system, where players could choose their special abilities.

Gypsy curse could change to Fate Curse, or something similar.

Use like a 10 point system, and have each one worth, say, 5 points. Certain races, to encourage the original racial abilities, would have modifiers to each.

Say... a Sarr could by Scenting at 2 and Resist Poison at 3, if they wished. so if they took the originals, they would basically get a bonus. Like maybe Resist Charm.

It would take some trial and error, but I think it could work.
LuthorHuss
Thu Jul 19 2012, 12:12PM
Registered Member #1175
I would hate to see racials completly gone, I have seen alot of games I've played in the past try to simplify the rule system and they ended up ruining the game. Dumbing down a system will simply cause people to leave the game. I'm sirry but races should be different, Elves should be able to do things others cannot same with each other race. By dumbing down the races you begine to strip away alot of the fun. Just because some people dont play a race beacuase of the abilities, but many do. Take that away and you risk loosing players, last I checked that wasnt something NREO could afford.
Stripes
Fri Jul 20 2012, 08:51AM
stripes
Registered Member #204
LuthorHuss wrote ...

I would hate to see racials completly gone

I would as well. The different races and their abilities add to the game. What would the difference be between a human that has a similar background? If it's mere appearance why would any but the most hardcore deal with the hassle and cost of makeup and prosthetics? There are already so few heavy makeup races as it is, would you really want to have even fewer in your game? I would suggest offering more incentive to play the stricter races, not fewer reasons to add more diversity.

For myself I really dislike playing humans at NERO. I'm a human every day of my life. When I go to events the last thing I want is to be is anything resembling my normal, everyday self. Some can’t due to makeup allergies, the money it can cost or any number of other barriers but I’m fortunate I can and love to do so. I truly enjoy giving my fellow players a strange and fantastical character to interact with that isn’t human or a typical elf. I’d love to see more incentive for others to do so as well.
silway
Fri Jul 20 2012, 09:10AM
silway
Registered Member #55
"What would the difference be between a human that has a similar background?"

Culture, history, traits. Racial abilities are irrelevant to distinguishing a Dark Elven cobbler from a Human cobbler. They're obviously different and Resist Charm doesn't enter into it. A lack of racial abilities is not going to somehow prevent people from playing different races. Some people might not play a non-human now, but some people might now feel like they can play whatever they want without having to worry about the minmax aspect of things. It's a pretty low opinion to have of the playerbase to think that all of a sudden there won't be non-humans in the game. Of course there will be, but now it will be motivated by a desire to explore and portray that fantasy race for the sake of the cool history they bring to the game. Which, honestly, I think is mostly the case now anyway, but for the edge cases, you'll lose some and gain some and NERO will go right on.

You said it yourself "I truly enjoy giving my fellow players a strange and fantastical character to interact with that isn’t human or a typical elf." Why would you be any different than your fellow players?
Stripes
Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:20AM
stripes
Registered Member #204
wrote ...

Culture, history, traits. Racial abilities are irrelevant to distinguishing a Dark Elven cobbler from a Human cobbler. They're obviously different and Resist Charm doesn't enter into it.

They're only different in appearance. That was my point and I mentioned that. Makeup gets expensive, it can get hot and uncomfortable, time-consuming and a real pain if you have an itch you can't scratch because it smears. As much as I enjoy bringing a fantasy race to my chapter, if I can do nothing a human can't do why would I bother with all that? I don't think I would.

wrote ...
A lack of racial abilities is not going to somehow prevent people from playing different races.

It isn't going to help encourage people to play them either. You're right, it won't prevent them from playing them if they really want to but honestly, how many actually would? Even with the minute racial abilities now they're rare, at least in my area. Average attendance of 70+ and I can count the makeup races on one hand.

wrote ...
Some people might not play a non-human now, but some people might now feel like they can play whatever they want without having to worry about the minmax aspect of things.

There's always going to be min-maxers regardless of how interesting a race is. I've seen the mass change to hobling in my area just for the racials and minimal costuming ever since the change to 9th.

wrote ...
It's a pretty low opinion to have of the playerbase to think that all of a sudden there won't be non-humans in the game.

Is that your opinion or mine? I never said that, I only said removing all racials would give one less incentive to play the more difficult ones.

wrote ...
Of course there will be, but now it will be motivated by a desire to explore and portray that fantasy race for the sake of the cool history they bring to the game.

My wish is to encourage more non-humans and elves. I see no reason not to offer a few more carrots to those who are interested but don't feel it's currently worth it and enforcement to keep it all in check.

wrote ...
Which, honestly, I think is mostly the case now anyway, but for the edge cases, you'll lose some and gain some and NERO will go right on.

You said it yourself "I truly enjoy giving my fellow players a strange and fantastical character to interact with that isn’t human or a typical elf." Why would you be any different than your fellow players?

I'm not any different. I like incentives that encourage players to go above and beyond just like anyone else.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF