NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Destroy Formal Magic
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
bgardner
Mon Oct 15 2012, 01:51PM
Registered Member #11
In 8th edition the scroll Destroy Magic, Greater was school specific. In 9th edition the scroll Destroy Magic, Greater is no longer school specific.

Can an earth formalist remove a ward with a Destroy Magic scroll?

Can an earth formalist destroy a celestial circle of power?

I have heard from long time player that you have cast from the same school as the spell or effect that you are trying to destroy. That an earth formalist can't destroy a celestial circle of power. I can't find in the 9th ed rules where it says that.
silway
Mon Oct 15 2012, 03:02PM
silway
Registered Member #55
It's still meant to be school specific. "This formal magic will bring to a conclusion all existing magic of the appropriate school, both Formal
Magic and Battle Magic, on the target."
bgardner
Mon Oct 15 2012, 03:29PM
Registered Member #11
OK. Can an earth formalist destroy a celestial circle of power, provided they had a Destroy Magic, Greater (Celestial) scroll?

If Destroy Magic (lesser and greater) is scroll specific, can we get this posted as an official clarification? The formal is not marked as scroll specific either in the chart or the actual description.

If it is not scroll specific, do I declare the school of magic at the time of casting the formal?

[ Edited Mon Oct 15 2012, 03:30PM ]
JBoyd
Mon Oct 15 2012, 04:45PM
Jerry Boyd

Registered Member #2539
Are you asking if it is legal for an earth caster using earth formal levels with an earth scroll in and earth circle to use a "Lesser Destroy magic" and select a target that is celestial? simply because the scroll does not say "Lesser Destroy Earth Magic"?
bgardner
Mon Oct 15 2012, 05:55PM
Registered Member #11
Not quite. Let me ask the question another way. It seems like the intention is the Destroy Magic be scroll specific. For planar gates "scroll specific" means Law or Chaos or Time or whatever, and as I understand it the scroll would be titled something like: Planar Gate (Law).

Is the earth formal magic scroll Destroy Magic, Greater (celestial) a legal scroll in the 9th ed rules? Meaning that a earth caster using earth formal levels with an earth scroll could destroy a celestial circle of power using said scroll: Destroy Magic, Greater (celestial).

Some people have told me there is no possible way for an earth formalist to DFM a ward or celestial circle but I don't see how that belief is supported by the rules.
silway
Mon Oct 15 2012, 06:18PM
silway
Registered Member #55
No, that scroll could not exist. Somewhere on the tag for the scroll it says the scroll itself is either Earth or Celestial and everything else flows from that. Even if the scoll *name* is the same, the actual scroll is still always one or the other and can only target that appropriate school. There was never any intention by the 9th Edition rules team to change that.
bgardner
Mon Oct 15 2012, 06:59PM
Registered Member #11
OK, thanks. I didn't know if you could vary the target school on a Destroy Magic scroll in the same way you could vary the plane on a Planar Gate scroll. Sounds like the school of magic to be targeted is the same as the school needed to cast from the scroll.
madhobling
Sat Jul 13 2013, 01:13AM
Registered Member #62
To take this question a step further........in Atlanta we had a debate this week about duel magic items.....

If you have an item that has both earth and celestial effects on it, and you cast a destroy earth ritual, does this destroy all magic on the item or just the earth magic.

Example:
Longsword
+1 damage aura (Celestial)
x3 Activate Desecrate (Earth)
Rendered (Celestial)
Greater Extension (Celestial)

Could you DFM earth and still have a +1 magic sword?
MatthewFleming
Sat Jul 13 2013, 01:55AM
Registered Member #6348
It would seem to me that you would just destroy the 3/day activate desecrate. Also those desecrates would not last past 5 days as there is no earth greater extension upon it.

Honestly tho, i believe it would be rather cool for an earth or celestial caster to get a Destroy magic (cel/Destroy Magic (Earth) and it be whatever school the scroll was made for.

I.E. A earth formal scroll that is Destroy Magic, Greater: Celestial that barbarian earth scholars uses to "purify" the land of Celestial magic. The scroll still has to be scroll specific (it only targets celestial magic) but could be of either school. (You could flip it around and have a celestial scroll that only destroys earth magic)
JSchneider
Sat Jul 13 2013, 01:57AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
Actually the Effect would be
+1 damage aura (Celestial)
Rendered (Celestial)
Greater Extension (Celestial)
x3 Activate Desecrate (Earth)
Greater Extension (Earth)

Since the scroll is school specific and it would only extend the scool specific batch.

Greater Extension
Level 9
Target Batch of formal magic of the appropriate school
Duration: 2 Years
Components: P9 (including at least one P2 or P4), C2, T4
This formal magic increases the duration of any Formal Magic previously cast in the current batch to
two years.
If successful, the batch immediately terminates at the completion of this formal magic. Greater
Extension does not count against the 5 Formal Magic limit on a target, since it simply modifies the
duration of other magics.

[ Edited Sat Jul 13 2013, 01:59AM ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF