NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Destroy Formal Magic
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
JSchneider
Sat Jul 13 2013, 02:03AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
But it would have to list out the effect specifically. Really a big waste of components to make an item like this.
madhobling
Sat Jul 13 2013, 07:12PM
Registered Member #62
agreed it would be a waste to make, but if found on a creature, could you just destroy the earth stuff and keep the celestial?
JSchneider
Sat Jul 13 2013, 07:37PM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
All I could give are assumptions but the rules people would have to clarify how DFM works. Atlanta is the first chapter I have heard of handing out dual school magic items.

Destroy Magic, Lesser
Level 2
Target Item, Spirit, Glyph of Protection, Circle of Power, or Ward
Duration: Instantaneous
Components: P2, D1, V1
This formal magic will bring to a conclusion all existing magic of the appropriate school, both Formal
Magic and Battle Magic, on the target.

The caster must touch the target with a spell packet at the beginning of the formal magic and at the
conclusion and must be able to do so, if desired, during the entire casting of the formal magic. This
formal magic can only be cast within a fishtail that is within the boundaries of an Extended Circle of
Power.
If cast upon a spirit, then all magic present on the body is also affected, although items carried are
not affected. In this case, all formal magic, including Spirit Link(s), is affected. While each Spirit Link
is gone forever, other magic upon any applicable item is unaffected.
If cast upon an item, then all magic present on the item, including Spirit Link, is affected. While
that particular Spirit Link is gone forever, other magic present upon the spirit is unaffected.

The first highlighted point Points towards the argument that only the school of magic that the DFM is for would be targeted. The second highlighted point is vague enough to make it to where the whole item is destroyed. This leads to what is defined as an item? Is a building an item? if so then either scroll could DFM a ward. Is a circle an item? Possibly, so then you could use either scroll. I think in particular the second point needs to be clarified to either say only specific effect are targeted or it makes no difference on items.
madhobling
Mon Jul 15 2013, 04:02AM
Registered Member #62
I interpret the second part as still following the 1st part "of the appropriate school"

Destroys all magic of the appropriate school on an item, otherwise you can just use any dfm to destroy any item.
JSchneider
Mon Jul 15 2013, 04:33AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
Exactly. Its all interpretation we just need someone from the rules committee to say hows its suppose to be so we dont run into this problem later.
benp
Mon Jul 15 2013, 05:58PM
Registered Member #25072
Thanks for bringing this discussion here gentlemen. Now that I have an active account I can join in and hopefully we can get an official ruling.

The way I read it is that an item would have to have an effect with the correct school for the formal to start (admittedly the school is not mentioned in the target line of the formal description) but the highlighted section at the end implies (to me) that, on items specifically, all magics are destroyed regardless of the school.
Honestly I could argue either way on this so an official ruling as to the spirit of the rule in this situation would be very helpful.
jvalenti
Tue Jul 16 2013, 03:15PM
Joseph Valenti

Registered Member #68
The wording on the scroll is not vague.
1) The intent is to have celestial casters cast destroy celestial, and earth casters destroy earth.
2) In the above 'with 2 sentences highlighted' post, the first one tells you what the spell does, and the 2nd is part of the 'IF' statements, tells you what happens IF the TARGET is an ITEM.
3) There have been duel school items out since we had two schools, and we've used destroy magic to remove the 'bad' (necro/chaos/charm) earth magic and or bad celestial from items and keeping the other half since forever. this is one of the coolest plots that can always be run for players at every single chapter. There are generally 1 or more people who hate necromancy at every single chapter. just reading our histories online make everyone believe that this aspect is the staple of our entire tyrran based game - that necro and chaos are bad / illegal) and void is just as bad being the catalyst to make chaos work). we get to put out items that we can give to 1 person, and have that person interact with necro-hater formalist person who will always cast the destroys on the items so the other half will stay. every item we put out as duel class that 'could be' destroyed of 'bad' magics (all depends on your class and race and pc concept right) we are helping our players to interact with each other. find enough necro-haters in any chapter and they become the 'earth guard' and you can run adventure and adventure, season long story lines, every weekend for them , and they can still interact with the main theme of the event too.
the entire necro theory works well for celestial too. find people who don't like x, and make a group who do x, and then run continuing 'keep the barony safe from x peoples' modules every weekend and keep the intrigue going and the npc's in the story line deep (with good background and realistic goals), and you will find that many people like to weed out the evil-doers and non-conformers aka 'those who don't believe what we do' from the 'area'. and with chapters moving their in-game lands from barony to barony each event or year in order to allow their PC Noble Barons (who worked their butts off at 1 or 2 dozen events to be granted such a prestigious title by his peers and superiors) have their weekend 'in the sun' 'as the go-to-person' to do-good or do-bad while enjoying a little in-game power whiel the game is at their barony/estate, there are always 'the enemy' at every event. though if once or twice there is no major enemy for the earth-guard or star-warriors to protect the people-of-avalon from, no one is going to be upset if they get a weekend off from their 'normal duties they do to remain an Honorable Member of the Earth or Celestial Guild' - they'll be able to actually spend time catching up on the stories with everyone and also tailing along on adventures with their friends.
jvalenti
Tue Jul 16 2013, 03:16PM
Joseph Valenti

Registered Member #68
oh my! I rambled a bit there but I think everyone gets my points.
benp
Tue Jul 16 2013, 04:00PM
Registered Member #25072
Gee Joe. You could have just said "Your wrong, BABAAM!"
JSchneider
Tue Jul 16 2013, 09:13PM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
I would have accepted that as an asnwer as well. Thanks Joe ^-^
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF