NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
PERMANENT DEATH BY PLAYER CHOICE 2013 & 2014
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
JacobMead
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:37AM
Registered Member #2146
Reasons to allow previously permed characters back.

1) I feel it is unfair to only allow people who have permanently died 2013 and onward. If they are allowed to keep their characters then why should I be denied the ability to keep a character I really loved, for example.

2) People who have quit NERO over losing their characters in the past will be more likely to get back into NERO since they can play their old characters again if they are allowed to get them back. Which means some return customers.

3) For people who feel that they died for no apparent reason. Like I have a friend named Ben who permanently died to crunchies walking into game at layon. Fumbled drawing his dagger and got munched by wolves. Thats not heroic at all. Or I was kidnapped by some death creature with no name or significance and then permed. No heroic death, no final huurah. Just obscure death with no one to remember. At least this is the feeling I get from the people who are for the removal of permanent death.
Martin
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:43AM
Lord Martin William Redawn
Registered Member #1259
JacobMead wrote ...
3) For people who feel that they died for no apparent reason. Like I have a friend named Ben who permanently died to crunchies walking into game at layon. Fumbled drawing his dagger and got munched by wolves. Thats not heroic at all. Or I was kidnapped by some death creature with no name or significance and then permed. No heroic death, no final huurah. Just obscure death with no one to remember. At least this is the feeling I get from the people who are for the removal of permanent death.

So, you're suggesting that we should REWARD incautious and incompetent players. No one OWES you a heroic death. You have to earn that for yourself.
JosephColucy
Tue Jan 29 2013, 02:15AM
Registered Member #6443
Martin wrote ...

JacobMead wrote ...

So, you're suggesting that we should REWARD incautious and incompetent players. No one OWES you a heroic death. You have to earn that for yourself.

Agreed. This is a role playing game, Not a heroics game.
AsheBlackfist
Tue Jan 29 2013, 02:17AM
Registered Member #44
Martin wrote ...

JacobMead wrote ...

I hope one day you come against an overstatted encounter and die to it. After all, that's your own incompetence.
Ctaylor
Tue Jan 29 2013, 03:03AM
NEXUS
Registered Member #902
anything that died (permed) should stay permed. Opening this up to past characters only will create a logistic nightmare. Many Chapters in the past kept their own DB of characters and often deleted perm'd characters. How would you propose separating this? You really can't. Build points amounts are forgotten as well as skill, let along contacts and many RP details. Let the dead rest and focus on moving forward.
JosephColucy
Tue Jan 29 2013, 03:19AM
Registered Member #6443
I'm so not healing (my main is a high level healer) PCs that come back. They are abominations.
Ctaylor
Tue Jan 29 2013, 03:22AM
NEXUS
Registered Member #902
Reasons, not to let old PC's who permed back.

1.) Precedent. If you allow even one, there will be others asking for the same.
2.) Closed Chapters. What is a player comes and said they played in Nero "Blah", which has been closed for years. There is no physical record and the odds of getting the information from the previous owner is low or nil depending on why they are no longer a chapter owner. Do we just allow players to make up a build total and take it completely on trust of things which cant be verified?
3.) Prior Databases, while a chapter may still be open, the character might have permed prior to the National DB entry. I know for a fact. Nero Midwest did not input permed PC's into the national database at time of conversion. Getting a hold of the old Midwest database is annoying enough when a living PC comes back to game, finding a Perm'd one who may or may not have been deleted would be a bigger pain.
4.) Plot/Staff Rotation. Who knows, aside from the PC, who they were in-game. Did they have a title? status? power? and army? Probably the plot team at the time of his death, but maybe not now. Alot of old staff have retired from the game and when PC were permed, the story adapted and changed, as it should. Allowing them come back now involves research into the PC prior to death, (if a record exists at all).
5.) Complete Trust?. If there is no record, how do you say yes to one and no to another? If the chapter closed the permed PC is not at fault, so why should they be penalized. As such because of reason #1. Any Player who comes and say they played in a defunct chapter 15 years ago and permed. we have to take whatever build total they have on complete trust. They could lie out of their teeth and we would never know.
6.) Back Blanketing. What if the PC had goblins and wanted to back blanket? because we allowed them not to die. Mark my words. This one WILL come up from a player at one point.

There are other reasons but the first 5 are the best reasons, not to make this a retroactive policy. Leave it to 2013, in my opinion. this is the best to avoid all sort of problems down the road.
Martin
Tue Jan 29 2013, 03:53AM
Registered Member #1259
JosephColucy wrote ...

Oh, really?

"The Opening Paragraph on the NERO LARP Home Page" wrote ...

NERO LARP Live Action Role Playing, Since 1986
Welcome to NERO LARP! We are the premier Live Action Role Playing (LARP) organization in North America - Since 1986. In Live Action Role-playing, you become the character of your fantasies, and, acting out the action, solve the mystery's and defeat adversaries with wit, intelligence, and/or sword & sorcery. At NERO events, you use skills that your character has earned, as well as the skills that you as the player bring to the game. Much like King Arthur, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, SuperNatural, Twilight, Blood Lines, and Renaissance Fairs, except you're the HERO (or the Villain).

Or course, role-playing and heroics are not mutually exclusive propositions, but to think that heroics are not a vital part of the game is a demonstrably false assumption. YOU don't have to be a hero, if you don't want to be, but the heroes always have and always be the lifeblood of the game.

Martin
Tue Jan 29 2013, 03:56AM
Registered Member #1259
AsheBlackfist wrote ...

I hope one day you come against an overstatted encounter and die to it. After all, that's your own incompetence.

Just because I think that permanent death needs to be a part of the game doesn't mean that I don't think that PLOT and Monster Town need to follow the rules, just like everyone else. The STORY may not be fair to your CHARACTER, but the STAFF has to be fair to the PLAYER. If you receive a fair death (by the rules), then you should just shut up and take it like a good sportsman. If your death is NOT fair, then you should ask for an adjudication. In fact, I think ALL permanent deaths should automatically be adjudicated, just to keep things on the up and up.
JosephColucy
Tue Jan 29 2013, 03:58AM
Registered Member #6443
Martin wrote ...

JosephColucy wrote ...

Oh, really?

"The Opening Paragraph on the NERO LARP Home Page" wrote ...

NERO LARP Live Action Role Playing, Since 1986
Welcome to NERO LARP! We are the premier Live Action Role Playing (LARP) organization in North America - Since 1986. In Live Action Role-playing, you become the character of your fantasies, and, acting out the action, solve the mystery's and defeat adversaries with wit, intelligence, and/or sword & sorcery. At NERO events, you use skills that your character has earned, as well as the skills that you as the player bring to the game. Much like King Arthur, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, SuperNatural, Twilight, Blood Lines, and Renaissance Fairs, except you're the HERO (or the Villain).

Or course, role-playing and heroics are not mutually exclusive propositions, but to think that heroics are not a vital part of the game is a demonstrably false assumption. YOU don't have to be a hero, if you don't want to be, but the heroes always have and always be the lifeblood of the game.

Ohhh god yes lets bow down the the wishes of every player. Bull. People die. Move on. Or go the hell away. You have two free deaths. No one dies their first time out. If you perm you have at least messed up twice. Deal with it.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF