NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
PERMANENT DEATH BY PLAYER CHOICE 2013 & 2014
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
madhobling
Tue Jan 29 2013, 04:02AM
Registered Member #62
After originally being fully against the idea of removing permanent death, I have come to understand many of the reasons behind this idea. I still think the game is better with it, but understand how it has caused the unintended consequence of staff holding back at times. I therefore offer a compromise between the two that I saw years ago when I started larping.....

A brand new character gets 3 lifes. At every other level (odd numbered) the character gains a life to a max of 10 banked. This way there is still that chance of permanent death, but the player (and character) can be prepared for it cause they know their spirit is very weak when it comes. This also helps plot not worry as much about pulling back, because players with low life totals will pull out if they feel they need to, or can choose to go over the threshold when the moment is right for them. And it takes some of the randomness out of it (if you are low on life, take extra precautions).
Martin
Tue Jan 29 2013, 04:24AM
Lord Martin William Redawn
Registered Member #1259
madhobling wrote ...
A brand new character gets 3 lifes. At every other level (odd numbered) the character gains a life to a max of 10 banked. This way there is still that chance of permanent death, but the player (and character) can be prepared for it cause they know their spirit is very weak when it comes. This also helps plot not worry as much about pulling back, because players with low life totals will pull out if they feel they need to, or can choose to go over the threshold when the moment is right for them. And it takes some of the randomness out of it (if you are low on life, take extra precautions).

This is very close to the way death was handled in 3rd Edition. I support this idea fully.
JacobMead
Wed Jan 30 2013, 12:51AM
Registered Member #2146
5.) Complete Trust?. If there is no record, how do you say yes to one and no to another? If the chapter closed the permed PC is not at fault, so why should they be penalized. As such because of reason #1. Any Player who comes and say they played in a defunct chapter 15 years ago and permed. we have to take whatever build total they have on complete trust. They could lie out of their teeth and we would never know.

Oh so we are not supposed to trust our players now? Man good thing this game isn't based on people being honest....oh wait...
malfean
Wed Jan 30 2013, 01:10AM
Registered Member #88
Martin wrote ...

AsheBlackfist wrote ...

I hope one day you come against an overstatted encounter and die to it. After all, that's your own incompetence.

Just because I think that permanent death needs to be a part of the game doesn't mean that I don't think that PLOT and Monster Town need to follow the rules, just like everyone else. The STORY may not be fair to your CHARACTER, but the STAFF has to be fair to the PLAYER. If you receive a fair death (by the rules), then you should just shut up and take it like a good sportsman. If your death is NOT fair, then you should ask for an adjudication. In fact, I think ALL permanent deaths should automatically be adjudicated, just to keep things on the up and up.

Overstatted and against the rules are not mutually exclusive.

Level 3 party? Give the goblins 500 body swinging 20's. Not a single rule is broken, but I think we can all agree that the encounter was overstatted. I'm exaggerating for effect, but things like this only less insane do happen.
Andarious
Wed Jan 30 2013, 03:52AM
Registered Member #6278
madhobling's got my vote here. Replace the current black stone buyout with a "Buy life" option of 500 gobbies or so, not to exceed the cap of 10 lives banked.
JosephColucy
Wed Jan 30 2013, 04:23AM
Registered Member #6443
The current system isn't bad if death buy backs went to exponential cost. It would Increase to some extent donations to local chapters from people that need the higher amounts to buy back their increased cost later stones.
AndrewI
Wed Jan 30 2013, 04:34PM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
JosephColucy wrote ...

The current system isn't bad if death buy backs went to exponential cost. It would Increase to some extent donations to local chapters from people that need the higher amounts to buy back their increased cost later stones.

Been there, done that, next death was going to cost me a truck donation to the chapter....

It's not a good system and is why it was done away with.
Ctaylor
Wed Jan 30 2013, 06:36PM
NEXUS
Registered Member #902
No offense Andrew,(and he is certainly not the only one) but when I read your posts, it come off as me me me. I don't like. It cost me. I want this. While I can appreciate your personal feelings on how the game affects you and your character I honestly believe you are confusing what is good for you and your character with what is good for the game as a whole.

NO ONE wants their characters to die.

However it keeps the game changing and evolving, keeps apl down which in turns affects plot (stating and providing challenges) logistics (coin that goes out) and the players, who now find it more difficult to get into a position of nobility or status, because no one dies.

[ Edited Wed Jan 30 2013, 06:39PM ]
Martin
Wed Jan 30 2013, 06:47PM
Lord Martin William Redawn
Registered Member #1259
AndrewI wrote ...

JosephColucy wrote ...

Been there, done that, next death was going to cost me a truck donation to the chapter....

It's not a good system and is why it was done away with.

Perhaps...but the point is that eventually, characters are SUPPOSED to die. This system allows you to extend your character's life if you're willing to work for it, but sooner or later the heavy hand of fate catches up with everyone.
Andarious
Wed Jan 30 2013, 06:56PM
Registered Member #6278
Andrew's just bringing up experience. I'm not sure weather I prefer a small and ever increasing extra life cost or a large static one. Either way it has to be substantial, and can afford to be with the current rate players can use goblin points to buy blankets.

I still stand with this being the best compromise I've seen offered so far to remove randomness and still retain some chance of permanent death if a player is not cautious with their character. It may mean characters don't do reckless things, it may mean the character that does reckless things only shows up so often (the Player chooses to NPC a lot rather than risk permanent death). At least there are options.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF