NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Game Races & Cultures

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Make up and Racial skills
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
madhobling
Thu Jan 31 2013, 12:20PM
Registered Member #62
I have always heard the argument under the current system that racial abilities are attached to make-up requirements (one of the arguments against hobling dodge-no make up and cool skill)......when it really didn't have a connection. Just look at surface vs. dark elf......exact same racials, but surface elves only have to put on ears.

No wait Dark Elves have more disads.....

[ Edited Thu Jan 31 2013, 12:21PM ]
EziekalGrymm
Thu Jan 31 2013, 01:29PM
Registered Member #2746
Hoblings wear makeup I do side burns, thicker eye brows and paint hair on my hands. While it might not be tons of make up I still need to do it.
Martin
Thu Jan 31 2013, 01:39PM
Lord Martin William Redawn
Registered Member #1259
The best unconventional piece of hobbling make up that I ever saw was a guy who wore knee pads, and every time a role-playing situation arose, he would drop to his knees to represent his race's short stature. It was particularly hysterical when he would "jump" so that we would notice him behind a table or other normally waist-high object.
madhobling
Fri Feb 01 2013, 02:46AM
Registered Member #62
Why paint the back of your hands, you can get some fur fabric and either make straps out of elastic, sew a patch on the back of a fingerless glove or sew said pach on a sweatband and cut a thumb hole in it to fit like a glove.

Also the packet doesn't require the eyebrows or sideburns....its says many (or perhaps it says most) hoblings have this. The only requirement is on the hands (and feet if no shoes).

[ Edited Fri Feb 01 2013, 02:47AM ]
BerenOlean
Fri Feb 01 2013, 03:28AM
BerenOlean
Registered Member #33
The packets dont matter as much as the rulebook. The rulebook does state that hoblings have bushy eyebrows and sideburns. Each chapter does it differently, so what counts one place may not count at another. We require prostetics or paint, just to ensure players are visibly their race. If the chapter with how you rep, then its all good.
CodyS
Fri Feb 01 2013, 06:16PM
Registered Member #1046
I hate painted-on sideburns. They look like crap and are easily sweated off. I imagine painted-on hand hair is even worse. For that matter, I don't care for people who have small sideburns going down maybe half the ear, and claim it to be their race rep. I think that racial traits like those should be over-exaggerated, since I would be able to tell a hobling from a human in real life.

http://www.costumesofnashua.com/CNWebSite105/Active905/Pages/BeardsMoustache/Beards.htm - Halfway down the page is a pair of synthetic sideburns for $18.99.

Like what has already been said, elastic around the hands with patches of fake fur sewn or glue gunned on work very well. Mine have lasted forever. I need to replace the sideburns I bought at the beginning of last year, but it's still a minimal expense.

And Beren is correct, the rulebook says you need the sideburns.
EziekalGrymm
Fri Feb 01 2013, 11:24PM
Registered Member #2746
The paint actually lasts, maybe you just sweat a lot?
madhobling
Sat Feb 02 2013, 07:42PM
Registered Member #62
I personally think painting hair on the hands is like an elf wearing a hat to get around the ears......its not hard to make fur/hair reps (i actually have some in the laces of my boots when i wear laced boots).

As far as sideburns go, bushy doesn't mean long......I used to have natural sideburns (mid to bottom of the ear) and before an event I would let them get thicker then use hair stuff to "bush/thicken" them up at the event.

The past couple years I have been shaving my head (as my hairline has retreated) and so I now have none....but I hate the look of fake sideburns painted or stuck on.......if you have none at all that should be a character look preference, as long as you have the hands I think the rest is up to the player/characters style. I have played this character for 18 years now (and for the first couple years I was the only one in my chapter) and it has only been in the last 5-7 that I have seen the stuck on eybrows and sideburns.

I think they make the race look kind of silly & and make larps look as ridiculous as outsiders make us out to be.......I don't think they help in the oop public opinion/image of us.

[ Edited Sat Feb 02 2013, 08:11PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF