NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Resist Physical
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
Kendrick
Thu Apr 11 2013, 08:28PM
Registered Member #2142
"Resist Physical: This skill allows the character to resist one attack with “physical” in verbal or weapon blow, once per day."

The question I have is this: does it state that you can resist any "physical" ability delivered via sound of voice/packet/weapon attack, or does it state you can resist any ability that is delivered via the "physical" type AND/OR any one weapon blow (which, lets be honest means a slay).

I've been talking with people and we go back and forth on the subject, so some clarification would be swell.
EziekalGrymm
Thu Apr 11 2013, 09:05PM
Registered Member #2746
Attack would translate to me as anything with the word physical in the call. So packet/weapon ect
JBatchelor
Fri Apr 12 2013, 09:03AM
Registered Member #7739
how is physical a part of a weapon blow.... this clearly means slay or any other weapon attack.
Dain
Fri Apr 12 2013, 12:15PM
Registered Member #814
No, the word "physical" is not in the delivery or attack verbal for a slay. It would cover like a lesser physical web strike or something of the sort. This won't stop a slay or regular attack.
Danmac
Fri Apr 12 2013, 12:54PM
Dan MacFadzen
Registered Member #9166
"Physical Engulf" - weapon delivered attack that could be resisted.
Corey.Kump
Fri Apr 12 2013, 02:22PM
Registered Member #66
Delivery types are in a chart on page 88 of the rulebook. All weapon blows, save for Spellstrike, have a "Physical" effect type.

I would interpret the description of Resist Physical (from the playtest) as [one attack with physical in the verbal] or [one weapon blow]. I would argue that implicitly permitting its use against Spellstrikes was an oversight and outside of the ability's scope.

That said, the chart also happens to indicate that you cannot use Resist or Effect shield vs. weapon blows in the categories [Normal/Silver], [Magic], [Massive], or [Weapon Trap]. The description of Resist does not convey that limitation. Return, on the other hand, explicitly indicates that it is only usable vs. per-day skills, naming spells, Critical Slays, and Assassinates.

Overall, the intent of the rulebook seems to be that Resist Physical can be used vs. Slays, Assassinates, Waylays, Physical Strikes, and "Physical <Effect>" packet delivered attacks, and vs non-slay / assassinate weapon damage. The wording of the playtest skill, interpreted as I describe, is congruent with this interpretation.
Dain
Sat Apr 13 2013, 04:02AM
Registered Member #814
A racial parry for five build? If that's what they had in mind when this playtest was created, it's more rediculous then I first thought.
Kendrick
Sat Apr 13 2013, 04:16PM
Registered Member #2142
And thus Vince why I'm trying to bring this up to light, because I know that someone with it will get Slayed and say Resist, and then a rules argument will magically appear.
Jackson
Sat Apr 13 2013, 08:10PM
Baron of Cathym, Volta
Registered Member #90
ahh the comma strikes again! See the position of the comma indicates that you can resist an attack with a verbal call of "physical" be it delivered by weapon or packet. So if a spider comes out, throws a packet at you and states "Physical web" you say "resist"! and ignore the effect. or if said spider waltzes up to you and strikes you with its weapon declaring "Physical death"! you call resist and be thankful that you have such an nice skill.
-CRIMSON
Sat Apr 13 2013, 10:30PM
-CRIMSON
Registered Member #18
hoblings yo.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF