NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Healing pool healing
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
Ubagluba
Tue Apr 16 2013, 07:04PM
ubagluba
Registered Member #183
I've forgotten how a lot of this stuff works, but this popped up at my first event back. When sword and boarding can I call my 10 Elemental Healings on myself without dropping my sword or shield?
EziekalGrymm
Tue Apr 16 2013, 07:34PM
Registered Member #2746
Healing Pool Definition: (Page66)
healing pool allows the caster to create a pool
of Elemental Healing of 150 points which may
be touch cast by the caster as 10 Elemental
Healing. The pool is lost if the caster dies
and needs a liFe spell. A caster may have
both a Healing Pool and a Defiling Pool at the
same time but not more than one of each. If
the caster is disrupted during the call of “10
Elemental Healing” or “10 Elemental Chaos”,
that 10 point casting fails and is lost to the pool
but the rest of the pool remains. The Elemental
Healing or Elemental Chaos can only be touch
cast.

Touch-Casting(Rule book page46/47)
Touch-casting is performed by holding a packet and placing it
against the target you wish to affect.
The obvious advantage to this is that there is no chance of missing and wasting the effect. In such a case, the effect recipient may choose to “accept” the effect, thus letting it past their Spell Defenses such as Shield Magic or eleMental Shield. The recipient must be conscious to “accept”
an effect without triggering the Spell Defences. You may never
“accept” a thrown effect. The decision to accept an effect through touch-casting is made immediately after the effect is cast. This is to prevent a caster from tricking an unsuspecting victim.The recipient of a touch-cast effect can always refuse the effect by saying “refused.” This will use up the effect, but have no effect whatsoever on the recipient. Whenever attempting to touch-cast, you must abide by all NERO safe conduct rules.

Casting Spells (Page46)
To cast a spell, the caster must have a spell packet in hand. The hand and arm with the spell packet in it must be “free” (Hands that are holding something else, or are tied or bound either physically or with a binding spell are not “free”). The caster must then correctly recite the verbal for the spell in a voice loud enough to be heard by a person standing next to you even if there is no one standing next to you. Within three seconds after finishing the verbal, the caster must then throw the packet at the target. The short phrase or “incantation” of the spell is spoken in plain English so the victim will know what spell has been cast. In game, these words are understood by anyone, but have a “magical effect” associated with them that makes them different from normal speech. Even though
you can speak the language, you cannot “fake” a spell incantation or otherwise bluff the casting of a spell. You also cannot bluff the start of a spell incantation. If you start the incantation, the spell is used.

By those definitions you need to have a free hand and it has to be touch cast on yourself.
Ctaylor
Wed Apr 17 2013, 03:47PM
NEXUS
Registered Member #902
Not to be devils advocate, however touch casting and normal casting are 2 different types of casting, which is why each has its own rules. As such, by reading the rules for each one. Specifically touch casting rules. It does not state that you need to have a free hand, only that you must be holding a packet.

It could be very easily argued that you could continue to touch cast even when bound, due to the way the rule is written.

All that said, I do believe it would be against the spirit of the rule to allow it.
EziekalGrymm
Wed Apr 17 2013, 03:58PM
Registered Member #2746
No Disrespect but Casting Spells is the broad rules and touch casting is specific for that type. While it does not state you have to have a free hand you are bound by the higher rules. Ex Fed Gov Rules > State Laws > Local Laws meaning while in the paragraph for touch casting it does not say you need a free hand but under the rules for casting it does say you need one. I could be wrong but this is how i see the rules and how i believe they should be read.
Ctaylor
Wed Apr 17 2013, 04:10PM
NEXUS
Registered Member #902
I completely agree that it is how it should be read. Unfortunately experience has shown me rules lawyers will take whats written and read it another way. Especially if there is any ambiguity in the wording. Example in this discussion the whole thing could be avoided if there was a line which stated all other rules for casting apply to touch casting not specifically stated or something to that effect.
EziekalGrymm
Wed Apr 17 2013, 05:35PM
Registered Member #2746
Luckly the owners have the final say at their own chapters during events. Unless there is a national ruling on it.
noahmason
Wed Apr 17 2013, 06:23PM
Registered Member #102
It doesn't explicitly say that you must follow all the normal weapon combat rules when using a slay, but that doesn't mean you can turn your weapon upside-down and hit people with the handle, just because it doesn't say you can't. There's a difference between a "rules lawyer" and someone who is going through logical gymnastics and using obvious fallacies like that. Touch casting IS casting a spell. Of course all the rules for casting spells apply. It really can't get any more unambiguous than that.
BillT
Wed Apr 17 2013, 07:06PM
Registered Member #1000
What happened to Spirit of the Rules?
Ctaylor
Thu Apr 18 2013, 01:31AM
NEXUS
Registered Member #902
It resurrected.
EziekalGrymm
Thu Apr 18 2013, 01:29PM
Registered Member #2746
You mean permed and didn't pay money to come back

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF