NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Calling down of weapon types
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
Kendrick
Wed May 08 2013, 03:11PM
Registered Member #2142
I think when switching to 9th edition I read somewhere that you could switch down the weapon type hierarchy (Massive>Magic>Silver>Normal), but for the life of me I cannot find that statement anywhere anymore.

And yes, I know it states in Damage Aura/Elemental Aura/Magic Aura you can turn on/off the effect, but I'm specifically looking for the excerpt about calling down the weapon type hierarchy (I thought it used to be on p.87 under weapon types, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore).

[ Edited Wed May 08 2013, 03:11PM ]
JBatchelor
Wed May 08 2013, 04:55PM
Registered Member #7739
There's a Hierarchy? I just thought it was a loose conglomeration of damage types.
JamesHallas
Wed May 08 2013, 11:25PM
Registered Member #15346
Since some things are only damaged by one type of weapon(I.E.,Healing) it would, in my opinion, be a little overpowered if a Massive weapon could damage any monster type. Also, what about the odd weapon types like the above mentioned? All though, I would like to have a sword that lets me choose from a variety of different damage types instead of hiding behind the one guy that swings Magic in the group. Infinite Variety Blade of the Ancients! Go!
AsheBlackfist
Thu May 09 2013, 12:20AM
Registered Member #44
JamesHallas wrote ...

Since some things are only damaged by one type of weapon(I.E.,Healing) it would, in my opinion, be a little overpowered if a Massive weapon could damage any monster type. Also, what about the odd weapon types like the above mentioned? All though, I would like to have a sword that lets me choose from a variety of different damage types instead of hiding behind the one guy that swings Magic in the group. Infinite Variety Blade of the Ancients! Go!

You're worried about a monster swinging massive being overpowered? You do realize in this situation, you're at the mercy of whoever is statting anyhow? And if someone is statting something to only be effected through a damage type achieved by cantrip or monster statting, there's more problems than that going on.

But I think the answer is no, you can't swing down damage type, but I'm fairly certain you can supress the magic aura or deattune it down to the base blade- silver or normal, whatever it was before enchanted.
JamesHallas
Thu May 09 2013, 11:26PM
Registered Member #15346
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear, but I meant a Player swinging Massive (or magic, really) being able to handle everything regardless of resistance. I'm also not a veteran player, so I'm not really certain a player can even GET a massive damage weapon. What I had in mind was my one event NPCing when I played a Floating sword (virtually)only damaged by Magic, then latter a Wight (Virtually)only damaged by Silver/Healing! A player with a "Magic" damage sword would be able to damage both enemies, IF you could drop damage Tiers. A monster swinging Massive is just pure player murder.
EziekalGrymm
Fri May 10 2013, 07:35PM
Registered Member #2746
Monster swinging massive is something you throw packets at.
Kroogador
Sat May 25 2013, 01:29AM
Kroogador
Registered Member #133
First, players can't swing massive (except via some transforms or golems, at which point complaining about overpowered stuff is pointless lol)

I never saw this dropping damage thing you speak of in my many reads of the rulebook, but as far as I can tell it doesn't exist. You can drop you magic or elemental calls, as per thier formal descriptions. If you have a normal sword with a damage aura on it, even swinging magic normally, you can't "drop down" and swing silver, because its not a silver sword.

Hope that helps.
JamesHallas
Sat May 25 2013, 05:30PM
Registered Member #15346
Although I was wondering if, since you can silver an existing blade, if I could use my ranks in smithing to silver a magic sword with Damage Aura on it. I will possibly be using my chapters Goblin redemption policy to commission such a sword but I don't want to have to make two different Phys. Rep.s. Then I could choose which(or both?)to swing?
JaredVanderford
Tue May 28 2013, 06:42PM
Registered Member #955
JamesHallas wrote ...

Although I was wondering if, since you can silver an existing blade, if I could use my ranks in smithing to silver a magic sword with Damage Aura on it. I will possibly be using my chapters Goblin redemption policy to commission such a sword but I don't want to have to make two different Phys. Rep.s. Then I could choose which(or both?)to swing?

I don't see why you couldn't. There is no restriction on silvering that the weapon be new, or that it have no formal effects cast on it. Note that after doing so you can only swing magic or silver as your damage types, no longer normal.
JamesHallas
Tue May 28 2013, 11:05PM
Registered Member #15346
Thanks for making that more clear, JaredVanderford.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF