NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Cantrip pages
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
JSchneider
Sun Jul 28 2013, 06:07PM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
So these have been around a while but I have a question on how they actually work since i get conflicting ways from many people.

1. do you need to expend a cantrip level to use one?
2. do you need to use a component to use one?

All I want is uniformity on their use.
JBatchelor
Sun Jul 28 2013, 06:11PM
Registered Member #7739
I personally look at them as useless if they do not do one or both of those things. Also there is no in game way to make them.
JSchneider
Wed Aug 28 2013, 06:25AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
Still looking for an answer on this.
Gabriel
Wed Aug 28 2013, 01:28PM
Registered Member #8078
Under NERO 9th Edition Rulebook page 59 and NERO LARP Formal Magic Rules page 57, "Cantrip pages function like Cantrip tomes but are of one use only and will only contain a single Cantrip."

There's nothing I've seen to support otherwise besides the fact that it makes them, functionally, not very useful.

[ Edited Wed Aug 28 2013, 01:29PM ]
JSchneider
Wed Aug 28 2013, 05:52PM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
Ug I really hope not or they would be really freaking useless. No real point in event having them in the game if thats the case.
Ubagluba
Thu Aug 29 2013, 12:45AM
ubagluba
Registered Member #183
There's always the roleplay aspect of having a master give his apprentice a cantrip page for use while the apprentice is on a quest or something. Wait.... they can't be crafted... well that sorta ruins my vision of their usefulness.
JSchneider
Thu Aug 29 2013, 12:52AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
Yeah they can only be aquired by using goblin points or on loot drops.....Most people have cantrip tomes that are full so they only way for this to be useful it to be like a celestial scroll for formal magic user. No cantrip level used and no component cost for using them.
Gabriel
Thu Aug 29 2013, 01:42AM
Registered Member #8078
JSchneider wrote ...

No cantrip level used and no component cost for using them.

Or just either one of those effects would be a great improvement. I did use pages before I acquired a tome but only because the pages were easily accessible. Otherwise, I would have acquired a tome quicker.
jasonmote
Fri Aug 30 2013, 04:04AM
NERO International Staff
Registered Member #197
As was clarified by the Rules Team a while back (Noah Mason as I recall? I could be wrong) that Cantrip Pages function a little differently than from Cantrip Tomes. Pages are one-shot use items. The page is destroyed when used. Yes, you still have to break formal magic components (if required). However after use, the magic of the cantrip becomes innate to the character. The page is gone when used, therefore there is nothing to destroy or shatter to break the effects. A cantrip Magic Deliverance cast earlier in the day will remain active on the character short of their death or logistic reset. So, in my mind this makes Cantrip Pages FAR FAR more powerful and useful than cantrip tomes. I get 5 pages every event I attend and give them away to casters. Contingency, Magic Deliverance, Bane/Boon The Dead, all really good choices. Yes there should be a mechanic for how to create a page. Right now, only the goblins have the know-how to do it.

Keep in mind that they were originally developed as a monster item - something that when used was expended so plot teams didn't have to give out cantrip tomes all the time.
clintonsnyder
Fri Aug 30 2013, 04:52AM
Registered Member #815
They worked in that manner in 8th Ed.(which is when that ruling/errata occurred I believe) Jason because it was worded that they functioned in the same manner scrolls did, hence the ruling that the page was destroyed when used and took away the ability for someone to break its effect. That, at least in my opinion, did make them significantly more powerful than the tome version. Who wouldn't want a contingency life that couldn't be stopped because you couldn't take away its source? However in 9th Ed. the wording was changed in the following manner:

"In addition to Cantrip tomes, there are also Cantrip pages. Cantrip pages function like Cantrip tomes but are of one use only and will only contain a single Cantrip. A Cantrip Page must be the same size as a celestial scroll. To cast from a Cantrip Page, the caster must read and touch a packet to the Page."

The simple wording change "functions like cantrip tomes" instead of "functions like a scroll" took away that scenario.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF