NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Are claws an in game item?
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
Macanut
Thu Sep 05 2013, 09:14AM
Registered Member #1823
Well, maybe you don't block with a shield while a claw is tucked in that arm. I should have clarified that it could be neatly tucked for retaliation with spells/gasses, drinking potions, etc. I have watched people with a tucked weapon block with a shield and negate a physical hit or spell (with appropriate defense). Doesn't mean it's right, but it is funny to see.

Your point on catching loopholes is a good one, as it helps fix the current playtests and the multitude of questions. I'm not sure how much brainstorming was done before the playtests were evaluated and implemented, though I admit some are well thought out. Leave it to Larpers to find every way to nuke a situation, or find a cool glitch and become the claw monster.
AndrewI
Thu Sep 05 2013, 11:42AM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
dalewyn wrote ...

Macanut wrote ...

"A question I haven't seen on the forums yet is can you hold a claw and another in-game item in the same hand?
Such as, an alchemy packet and a claw, and still parry with the claw?"

No, if you have an alchemy packet, and take a hit on the claw, you take the damage.

"Can you hold the claw in the same hand as a shield and still block with the shield (for instance, when grabbing a throwing knife with your "claw" hand)?"

No, anything that hits the shield would be the same as hitting your body. Hint: you can tuck the claw under your shield arm.

"Can you hold a claw in one hand and perform a One Handed Block with a 2 handed weapon with the other?"

No

Hint: you can tuck the claw under your shield arm.

"You cannot hold or carry any in game items in the hand and/or arm
being used to hold a shield or weapon."

The above quote would suggest that if the arm is used in securing the claw, it would still count as being held by the hand / arm. Can you tuck a weapon under your shield arm, or is that considered "holding" it with the arm? Should be the same rule for both, if a claw is an in-game weapon.

The technical term for that is called "Templar Tucking" and wasn't legal unless something changed in 9th to allow it. If you tucked a sword under your shield arm and an NPC hit your shield you'd take the damage.
AndrewI
Thu Sep 05 2013, 11:56AM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
As we've interpreted in NERO NB:

Claws
- Require an ingame weapon skill to "unlock" the racial ability
- Require a red covered weapon to designate claw, not just a couple red stripes or strip of red tape.
- Ingame item - but not steal-able/removable from the PC
- Can be improved by smithing
- Shares profs/slays with your ingame weapon skill
- Can be coated with appropriate contact alchemy (i.e. Vorpals)
- Can be improved via Blade Spells
- Can be improved by other racial abilities that mimic profs/slays etc.
- Currently cannot be Enchanted via Formal magic
- Currently cannot be Silvered
- Currently cannot be Shattered/Destroyed (just like a monster claw)
- Currently cannot be Fumbled (just like a monster claw)
- Currently does not count for skill pre-requsites; i.e. will not "unlock" Florentine or Two Weapon (This is an error in the character generator that treats the racial skill as a weapon skill)
- Like a weapon or shield you cannot hold an ingame item in the same hand and still use the claw (to attack or defend)
- You cannot have a claw 'out' and use 1 handed block with a two handed weapon in your other hand
- Claws are considered 'retractable' just like the monster version.

Following these we've had 0 problems with claws up here, no it's not National Dale, until the is an official ruling you'll have to follow what your Chapter decides.
Gabriel
Thu Sep 05 2013, 02:21PM
Registered Member #8078
dalewyn wrote ...

First off, you can't have your cake and eat it too; if claws are a weapon, then claw mastery is a weapon skill.

That's the same as saying Spell Slots fall under the category of Magic Skills or, sometimes actually confused, Scholarly Skills. They're not.

I also think you've used "have your cake and eat it too" in the wrong circumstance. I'm saying, "No, you cannot do that - it doesn't work that way." not, "I want it all to work the way it benefits me best."
dalewyn
Thu Sep 05 2013, 02:31PM
Registered Member #29596
Gabriel wrote ...

dalewyn wrote ...

First off, you can't have your cake and eat it too; if claws are a weapon, then claw mastery is a weapon skill.

That's the same as saying Spell Slots fall under the category of Magic Skills or, sometimes actually confused, Scholarly Skills. They're not.

I also think you've used "have your cake and eat it too" in the wrong circumstance. I'm saying, "No, you cannot do that - it doesn't work that way." not, "I want it all to work the way it benefits me best."

LOL...no, I'm just saying that Claw Mastery should be counted as a weapon skill, as Hammer Mastery and Axe Mastery seem to be counted as weapon skills.

I was thinking of doing a character with claws and a bow; I'm suspecting that our local chapter and National will agree with Andrew, which will mean the claws are an in-game item, and not as cheezable as I suspected; I'm still planning to play that character despite the "rule not benefiting me the best". Really, I was just trying to clarify the rules before I played it that way to avoid arguments.

Lothaedus
Thu Sep 19 2013, 09:28PM
Registered Member #30435
On the subject of claws I have a related question. Earlier someone mentioned that you could block with a claw but if you were holding another in game item in the claw hand you would take the damage. My question is, can I block a standard weapon attack with the claw and NOT take damage if that's all I'm doing with that hand?

Second question, how does this apply to the cantrips Tyrra's Claw and Ethereal Sword?
NickDenny
Fri Oct 18 2013, 02:44AM
NERO LARP Staff

Registered Member #122
Please let me know if this does not answer all the questions people have.

A question I haven't seen on the forums yet is can you hold a claw and another in-game item in the same hand?
--- No. Claws are treated the same as weapons for what can be wielded in the same hands.
Such as, an alchemy packet and a claw, and still parry with the claw?
--- No, see answer above.
Can you hold the claw in the same hand as a shield and still block with the shield (for instance, when grabbing a throwing knife with your "claw" hand)?
--- No, same as above.
Can you hold a claw in one hand and perform a One Handed Block with a 2 handed weapon with the other?
--- No, same as above.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF