NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Shatter
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
Motye
Wed Sep 04 2013, 01:43PM
Registered Member #4083
I have been involved in a discussion lately on the effects of a shatter (and what can be targeted).

If a pouch is shattered, then unless it resists; it is shattered and all its contents destroyed.

If a belt is shattered, then any pouches and items directly touching the belt are destroyed, but your contents of the pouch would survive (as they do not directly touch the item shattered).

Any in use item (so a cantrip tome) could be shattered (even when hidden from view) if it is being used (unless protected by a resistant item (like a SR Pouch)

Items that are not currently in use or visible cannot be shattered (so thieves tools in a pouch could not be targeted)

Is this correct as there is quite some dialog going on.
silway
Wed Sep 04 2013, 06:30PM
silway
Registered Member #55
"Any in use item (so a cantrip tome) could be shattered (even when hidden from view) if it is being used (unless protected by a resistant item (like a SR Pouch)"

The cantrip tome could still be shattered, regardless of the shatterability of the pouch.
JSchneider
Wed Sep 04 2013, 07:17PM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
That's why I love shatter resistant cantrip tomes.
Motye
Wed Sep 04 2013, 08:39PM
Registered Member #4083
The question is this: If something is out of sight and not in use, could it be the target of a shatter (e.g. thieves tools). but if the tools are in a SR pouch would (and they could be targeted) then could you call resist?
Macanut
Wed Sep 04 2013, 09:19PM
Registered Member #1823
Call no effect, it will give you time to retaliate while they try and figure out what in the world just happened.
JSchneider
Thu Sep 05 2013, 01:41AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
I have been involved in a discussion lately on the effects of a shatter (and what can be targeted).

If a pouch is shattered, then unless it resists; it is shattered and all its contents destroyed.

If a belt is shattered, then any pouches and items directly touching the belt are destroyed, but your contents of the pouch would survive (as they do not directly touch the item shattered).

Any in use item (so a cantrip tome) could be shattered (even when hidden from view) if it is being used (unless protected by a resistant item (like a SR Pouch)

Items that are not currently in use or visible cannot be shattered (so thieves tools in a pouch could not be targeted)

Is this correct as there is quite some dialog going on.

From pg 47 of the rule book:

Target Specific
Some effects like Wither Limb or Shatter have a sub-target as
part of the call. This is required for spells and optional for
other delivery methods such as carrier attacks or potions. If
the sub-target is not specified then it is the target’s choice as
to which sub-target that is un-withered(Wither Limb ) or unrendered(
Shatter, Destroy) will be affected. If no target matching
the description exists, the call is “Got it”. Calling “No effect” in this
situation is incorrect.

And from the 9th edition errata:

Target Specific and Sub-Targets
Add the following after the second sentence of the entry for Target Specific on page 47:
“If right or left is not specified for a wither limb, the target may specify either un-withered limb. If the target
possesses multiple destructible items that fit the criteria of a shatter or destroy’s sub-target, they may
choose which item to affect. A player may never choose an already withered limb as the sub-target of a
wither limb effect, and may never choose an indestructible object as the sub-target of a shatter or destroy
effect, even if a sub-target is specified by the attacker."

1) Nowhere in there does it say you need to see the target item.
2) The spell description of Shatter specifically says “Shattering an item that has other items within or fastened to it will destroy all of the items.”
3) Based on the errata description all I have to to do is use the incant “I summon a force to shatter your cantrip tome” and it will automatically seek out your cantrip tome of your choice which is why people like me get them made shatter resistant. No they can not be rendered because if you read the Enchant tome cantri description youll see that it says “A Cantrip Tome may not have any other Formal Magic cast upon it or it will cease functioning, but it may be the target of a Rendering Cantrip.”
4)For the record calling "no effect" is incorrect it is "got it"

Again this is just my interpretation but not an official clarification. You would need a rules type person to verify this but its pretty cut and dry on this. Now If I can just get them back to my thread about the cantrip page clarification…..

Jonathan Schneider

[ Edited Thu Sep 05 2013, 02:08AM ]
Macanut
Thu Sep 05 2013, 09:04AM
Registered Member #1823
I love when sarcasm just soars right on over heads.
AsheBlackfist
Thu Sep 05 2013, 10:59AM
Registered Member #44
Macanut wrote ...

I love when sarcasm just soars right on over heads.

Internet discussion boards are great places to exercise sarcasm. /endsarcasm
AndrewI
Thu Sep 05 2013, 11:37AM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
Motye wrote ...

Having your normal cantrip tome in a rendered pouch will not protect it from a shatter/destroy spell (it may protect it from a fire/acid/explosive trap if it qualifies as a 'sealed container').

Not sure where this mindset came from, we had it come up last weekend, but the pouch will not protect the tome in the event of a shatter/destroy.
Motye
Thu Sep 05 2013, 12:17PM
Registered Member #4083
This topic is popping up in a number of chapters, not just around cantrip tomes either; in one case someone tried to shatter a persons set of thieves' tools, in another case it was shatter something else.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF