NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Shatter
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
JamesHallas
Thu Sep 05 2013, 07:42PM
Registered Member #15346
So if I Shatter your Non-rendered cantrip tome, it is shattered regardless of the Rendered state of the pouch it is in, BUT if I try to shatter your Rendered pouch, the call is "Resist(?)" and the contents are safe. That makes sense. What confuses me is:
"A player may never choose an already withered limb as the sub-target of a
wither limb effect, and may never choose an indestructible object as the sub-target of a shatter or destroy
effect, even if a sub-target is specified by the attacker."
If the attacker specifies my, let's say, right boot, but my right boot is rendered, then the rules make it sound like my LEFT boot is shattered then because a sub-target that my attacker specified is not destructible but a similar sub-target of the same category exists that IS shatter-able. Is that right? Or really fair, for that matter? Don't specify that in-detail if you could mess up your own attack by doing so.
Clarification, please.

James Hallas, Avoids spellcasting for just these reasons.
AndrewI
Thu Sep 05 2013, 08:34PM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
James it works like this

If the call is ....Shatter your Longsword - then you cannot pick your rendered one, if you have a non rendered one on you, if it's shatter resistant it resists, otherwise POOF.

If the call is ....Shatter your Cantrip Tome - Then your non rendered tome goes poof, if you only had 1 tome on you, and you've cast render on it for the hour, then the call would be no effect

If the call is ....Shatter your Pouch, and you have 2 on, one that's rendered with some stuff, and one that is normal with stuff in it - then the non-rendered one goes poof as does any destructible items within.

If the call is ....Shatter your Right Boot and it's rendered - the call is no effect, it's not going to affect your left boot, unless the call was ....shatter your boot - then your right is rendered and your left one goes poof.
AsheBlackfist
Thu Sep 05 2013, 10:40PM
Registered Member #44
In the right boot example, it only works if the right boot is a tagged item.

Shatter doesn't work against untagged items.
Macanut
Fri Sep 06 2013, 12:08AM
Registered Member #1823
Thank you again Mr Inness for clarification.

[ Edited Sat Sep 07 2013, 02:13AM ]
JSchneider
Fri Sep 06 2013, 01:19AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
@Andrew the call is not "no effect" the call is "got it" its just that nothing is shattered per page 47 pf the rule book:

Target Specific
Some effects like Wither Limb or Shatter have a sub-target as
part of the call. This is required for spells and optional for
other delivery methods such as carrier attacks or potions. If
the sub-target is not specified then it is the target’s choice as
to which sub-target that is un-withered(Wither Limb ) or unrendered(
Shatter, Destroy) will be affected. If no target matching
the description exists, the call is “Got it”. Calling “No effect” in this
situation is incorrect.

[ Edited Fri Sep 06 2013, 01:21AM ]
JSchneider
Fri Sep 06 2013, 01:22AM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
Since the effect took place its just that nothing was shattered so you "got" the effect it just didnt do anything to you. Calling "no effect" implies that the shatter effect doesnt affect what/who ever you are playing at the time.
AndrewI
Fri Sep 06 2013, 10:59AM
Registered Member #107
AsheBlackfist wrote ...

In the right boot example, it only works if the right boot is a tagged item.
Shatter doesn't work against untagged items.

I argued that same point to be shown in 9th edition I was incorrect.

They've removed that moniker from Shatter, it remains in the Destroy spell however.
AndrewI
Fri Sep 06 2013, 11:03AM
Registered Member #107
JSchneider wrote ...

@Andrew the call is not "no effect" the call is "got it" its just that nothing is shattered per page 47 pf the rule book:

Target Specific
Some effects like Wither Limb or Shatter have a sub-target as
part of the call. This is required for spells and optional for
other delivery methods such as carrier attacks or potions. If
the sub-target is not specified then it is the target’s choice as
to which sub-target that is un-withered(Wither Limb ) or unrendered(
Shatter, Destroy) will be affected. If no target matching
the description exists, the call is “Got it”. Calling “No effect” in this
situation is incorrect.

Good catch, but wow that's confusing for a player - did they take it, are they cheating, looks like I'll have to spread my marshals out a bit more during events. :)
JamesHallas
Fri Sep 06 2013, 11:16PM
Registered Member #15346
Wait, if a item has to be tagged to be shattered, then they CAN'T shatter your pouch unless you designate it in-game with a tag. I have not run into ANYONE at my home chapter with tagged costuming or pouches, so none of it is eligible to be shattered. So why do people use pouches as examples then? Also, I was commenting on the, apparently, miss worded part of the book that's say :
"and may never choose an indestructible object as the sub-target of a shatter or destroy
effect, even if a sub-target is specified by the attacker." What does "Sub-target" mean in this case?

James Hallas
dalewyn
Sat Sep 07 2013, 12:23AM
Registered Member #29596
James, that was a "oops"; shatter can target non-tagged items like pouches. Someone was remembering the last edition of the rules probably. Destroy still says the target needs a tag, maybe that's where the confusion came from.

[ Edited Sat Sep 07 2013, 12:23AM ]
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF