NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Shatter
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
AndrewI
Sat Sep 07 2013, 04:18AM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
JamesHallas wrote ...

"and may never choose an indestructible object as the sub-target of a shatter or destroyeffect, even if a sub-target is specified by the attacker." What does "Sub-target" mean in this case?
James Hallas

I summon a force to shatter your weapon. Lets you pick a sword, hammer, axe etc, but you cannot pick a rendered item unless you have no others, and you cannot pick a shield (specific rules for this).

If you specify the sub target to be I summon a force to shatter your longsword, then longswords are only the subtype that can be shattered.

The other example they give is Wither, ...wither your limb, lets you the player pick which arm, or leg gets withered. Wither your arm, lets you pick which arm is then withered. Wither your right arm, means your right arm gets withered, unless it already is.

Hope that helps :)
AsheBlackfist
Sat Sep 07 2013, 12:13PM
Registered Member #44
AndrewI wrote ...

AsheBlackfist wrote ...

In the right boot example, it only works if the right boot is a tagged item.
Shatter doesn't work against untagged items.

I argued that same point to be shown in 9th edition I was incorrect.

They've removed that moniker from Shatter, it remains in the Destroy spell however.

Fair, but ridiculous. The implications of this are incredibly dumb. Thanks for pointing it out.
JamesHallas
Sun Sep 08 2013, 12:11AM
Registered Member #15346
I think that helps, everyone. I just wanted to make sure that if someone shatters my, for example, Longsword, and it's rendered, that I don't lose my, for example, Shortsword I have at my side, because it fits the "Sword" subtype.
Thanks everyone!

James Hallas.
jasonmote
Tue Sep 17 2013, 12:33AM
NERO International Staff
Registered Member #197
AndrewI wrote ...
Motye wrote ...
Any in use item (so a cantrip tome) could be shattered (even when hidden from view) if it is being used (unless protected by a resistant item (like a SR Pouch)

Having your normal cantrip tome in a rendered pouch will not protect it from a shatter/destroy spell (it may protect it from a fire/acid/explosive trap if it qualifies as a 'sealed container').

Not sure where this mindset came from, we had it come up last weekend, but the pouch will not protect the tome in the event of a shatter/destroy.

It comes about because it used to be that anything within a rendered container was safe from harm (7th edition?). It could not be shattered/destroyed because the spell has to go though the container to get to the target, which is rendered, therefore not valid. In the same way that if you shatter my sword and I'm in an Imprison, my normal sword is safe; sealed container.
AndrewI
Tue Sep 17 2013, 11:08AM
Owner, NERO New Brunswick
Registered Member #107
jasonmote wrote ...

It comes about because it used to be that anything within a rendered container was safe from harm (7th edition?). It could not be shattered/destroyed because the spell has to go though the container to get to the target, which is rendered, therefore not valid. In the same way that if you shatter my sword and I'm in an Imprison, my normal sword is safe; sealed container.

I've never heard that interpretation in all my years at NERO, but it could be a local thing and about as silly as "No amount of Armor will protect you from a waylay" and then wearing no armor so you were "Waylay proof" :P~
BerenOlean
Thu Sep 26 2013, 11:34AM
BerenOlean
Registered Member #33
Andrew, you previously said the following. "I summon a force to shatter your weapon. Lets you pick a sword, hammer, axe etc, but you cannot pick a rendered item unless you have no others, and you cannot pick a shield (specific rules for this)."

What specific rule are you talking about regarding shield not being choosable. On page 104 table 7-1 Shield is considered a weapon. Shield is part of the weapon and armor skill table on page 31. Shield is NOT a weapon skill according to the weapon skills area starting on page 43. The Fumble spell on page 74 states "A shield is not considered a "weapon" for purposes of this spell." The shatter spell says that it may be cast upon any weapon or shield. Shields cannot be offensive weapons according to page 86.

From all of the wording differences, it is unclear as to the intent regarding shield. It is created as a weapon and used in combat as a weapon, yet the skill for its use is not a weapon skill. I am not arguing your interpretation is incorrect, but I see it the other way. A clarification on that from national would be wonderful.
JSchneider
Thu Sep 26 2013, 01:32PM
Jonathan Schneider

Registered Member #8146
Just knowing the rules committee at this point reads the boards would be nice.....
BerenOlean
Thu Sep 26 2013, 01:46PM
BerenOlean
Registered Member #33
agreed
BerenOlean
Thu Sep 26 2013, 01:54PM
BerenOlean
Registered Member #33
agreed
-CRIMSON
Thu Sep 26 2013, 03:54PM
-CRIMSON
Registered Member #18
who is the rules committee?
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF