NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Costuming

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Boffer construction
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
Aeogar
Thu Oct 24 2013, 12:56PM
Registered Member #38133
I have a boffer that I used in another LARP that I constructed in accordance with their rules, I really like the look, and the balance of the weapon and would like to use it at a NERO game. The specifications meet or exceed the requirements for NERO boffer construction, but due to some of the additions to it, I would like some opinions before I bring it out to a game and get turned away.

That should be a picture of the boffer.If not here is a link to the picture.

http://cander83.deviantart.com/art/Boffer-Sword-1-296029484

The tip is open cell foam, the core is 3/4in PVC, the body is 1 in thick pool noodle. It has an additional closed cell foam striking edge. The cross guard is layered camp mat, the handle is PVC with 2 1/2 sections of the same pipe to add to the bulk of the grip, and the pommel is open cell foam. The skin is only 1 layer of duct tape.
Attackgypsy
Fri Oct 25 2013, 03:29AM
Registered Member #79
Let me preface this by saying that a picture does not replace a hands on inspection. And every weapon is inspected by hand by the weapons marshal before use.

But from the picture and description, it should be just fine.

Aeogar
Sat Oct 26 2013, 02:06PM
Registered Member #38133
I completely understand that concept. I am just making sure that the construction won't cause some one to say "That isn't how we build our boffers, so you cant use it!". I am confident in its safety and in it's durability. My only concern was that I participated in a game that was derived from NERO, and they would not allow any boffers other than the tube version.
Gabriel
Sat Oct 26 2013, 07:42PM
Registered Member #8078
It's difficult to tell size without a reference object or, even better, a measuring tape. The picture is a bit grainy as well so I'm sorry if my perception is off but the pommel does not appear as though it would pass. The image description also describes the following, "the pommel is more open cell foam to provide a safe striking surface". Pommels are closed cell foam that extends at least 1 inch beyond the core. Pommels are no longer used for striking.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF