NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Creating Formal Magic Scrolls
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
SFischer
Sun Nov 03 2013, 04:18PM
Registered Member #6629
I have repeatedly received/heard questions regarding the creation of Formal Magic Scrolls and have often heard differing responses to the same questions. Clarification would be great....

When using Create Limited Formal Magic Scroll the Target is listed as "Formal Magic Scroll other than this one". Also, in the description it states: "The new scroll will be of the type Limited, regardless of the target scroll’s original type."

When using Create Unlimited Formal Magic Scroll the Target is listed as "Unlimited Formal Magic Scroll other than this one"

Based on this, my understanding would be that ANY formal magic scroll (Limited or Unlimited) could be used in the creation of a Limited formal magic scroll. Where as in order to create an Unlimited formal magic scroll you MUST have an Unlimited Formal magic scroll to begin with.

Is that correct?

Additionally, in the casting description of Create Limited Formal Magic Scroll it states: "The new scroll will be limited to a number of uses equal to 1/3 the number of levels (round up in all cases) of the appropriate school of formal magic possessed by the caster, to a maximum of fifteen."

I have heard two different rulings on this as well...
1) The "maximum of fifteen" refers to the number of uses of the new scroll created.
2) The "maximum of Fifteen" refers to the number of formal levels possessed by the caster.

SO which is it???

I understand that it I have 15 levels of formal the limited scroll created will have 5 uses. However, if I have 45 levels of formal will the new scroll created have 15 uses? or will it cap at 5 uses?

Official clarification on this would be great... but a majority of unofficial clarification would be just as helpful.
-CRIMSON
Sun Nov 03 2013, 04:53PM
-CRIMSON
Registered Member #18
ive never encountered this before. but my opinion would be 45 levels of formals = 15 shot scroll .

the reason being, is because the comma comes after 2 lines of describing the formal scroll's charges. so "to a maximum of 15" would seem to refer to the description as a whole.

JBatchelor
Sun Nov 03 2013, 08:02PM
Registered Member #7739
That was my opinion as well but an official clarification as to intent would be great.
NickDenny
Wed Nov 06 2013, 12:14AM
NERO LARP Staff

Registered Member #122
SFischer wrote ...

Based on this, my understanding would be that ANY formal magic scroll (Limited or Unlimited) could be used in the creation of a Limited formal magic scroll. Where as in order to create an Unlimited formal magic scroll you MUST have an Unlimited Formal magic scroll to begin with.

Is that correct?
Yes
wrote ...

Additionally, in the casting description of Create Limited Formal Magic Scroll it states: "The new scroll will be limited to a number of uses equal to 1/3 the number of levels (round up in all cases) of the appropriate school of formal magic possessed by the caster, to a maximum of fifteen."

I have heard two different rulings on this as well...
1) The "maximum of fifteen" refers to the number of uses of the new scroll created.
2) The "maximum of Fifteen" refers to the number of formal levels possessed by the caster.

SO which is it???
Number 1, 15 charges.
SFischer
Wed Nov 06 2013, 11:36PM
Registered Member #6629
Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. And Since Nick is on the Rules committee... I take this as the official ruling.
-CRIMSON
Wed Nov 06 2013, 11:38PM
-CRIMSON
Registered Member #18
dont lie. you took mine

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF