NERO LARP :: Forums :: Main Category :: Rules Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Inspiration Spell and memorization
Moderators: Administrator, KatieMueller, AdamTaylor, jvalenti, Clint, NickDenny, ShellyHollon, KnightofEvendarr, jasonmote, JSchneider, fdhogan, DDS, jvalentinero, BrianCook, dcashel
Author Post
Xanian
Thu Apr 17 2014, 04:44PM
Registered Member #14
Preface: The purpose of this thread is to call for a rules clarification. Myself and others have already hashed out all the theoretical arguments on both sides so further opinions are not needed on topic.

The question is in regards to how inspiration interacts with spells if the chapter in questions uses memorization of spells.

If caster A memorizes and uses a 6th level spell slot for a sleep spell and they receive an inspiration, what returns (the sleep spell or the spell slot for them to rememorize whatever 6th level spell they wish)?

The rulebook uses the term spell slot when defining what can return but is ambiguous on if it forces a memorization of the same spell as previously used.

In the same course of thought, if a fighter uses a slay and gets an inspiration, does it come back as a slay only or could they still choose to use the skill as a parry?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
jvalenti
Fri Apr 18 2014, 12:54AM
Joseph Valenti

Registered Member #68
Ben, I'm going to lean toward the answer that really is the better one; in the case of the return and inspiration effects, it takes 10 seconds to place a spell into a spell slot when it is returned including at chapters which use memorization instead of cast on the fly.
I guess for now, we'll go with this answer, until the rules team comes up with an decision. actually, right now, nick denny is the person who can decide on things like this right now - and he's pretty quick at it too.
I'll be announcing a director of the rules along with other people who will be transitioning into positions to help NERO expand and grow to monumental proportions, so we'll have a more activity regarding rules (new ones coming soon!) starting third quarter.
jvalenti
Fri Apr 18 2014, 12:57AM
Joseph Valenti

Registered Member #68
I imagine the 10 seconds will be changed to whatever is standard or may be 'as long as it takes you to decide which spell you want in the spell slot at memorization chapters' might work.
I'm really thinking about bringing back the spell book for role-play and spell-studying reasons (both cast on the fly and memorization), but we're going to roll out some standard issue ones so its easy for nero-members / event-guests to get the required equipment for our awesome events.
NickDenny
Tue Apr 29 2014, 12:41AM
NERO LARP Staff

Registered Member #122
Sorry I missed this,

Inspiration for memorized spells will return the same spell. So in your example if you had a sleep spell you would get a sleep spell back. If however you had a reversible spell like Life/Death or Cure/Cause Critical Wounds then you would gain access to the opposite when your inspired the skill back. Also a fighter would be able to choose slay or parry if they had previously used a slay and had it inspired.
Nightwindkain
Thu Nov 20 2014, 04:52PM
Kain Nightwind
Registered Member #1852
"If however you had a reversible spell like Life/Death.."

So officially life/death is reversible, not two seperate spells?

[ Edited Thu Nov 20 2014, 04:52PM ]
NickDenny
Mon Dec 01 2014, 07:27PM
NERO LARP Staff

Registered Member #122
Life/Death is a reversible spell. Any spell on page 65 in tables 5-8 and 5-9 that are listed Option1/Option2 are reversible.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF